PDX OSGeo 20120425 Meeting
- Buzz "200" when you arrive. The phone rings once or twice, then you'll be buzzed up. Elevator access available. Indoor bike parking available upstairs.
- When Google Maps Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade - Wm Leler - @wmleler. Google Maps has long been the choice for embedding maps on your website, or building map mashups. But Google's recent announcement that they will start charging for maps (or including ads on maps) has people looking at other options. As an added bonus, many of the alternative solutions have significant advantages over Google Maps. If you are a website owner with an embedded simple map, this talk will show you how you can dump Google Maps and switch over to other solutions in minutes (both free and paid). If you are a web designer, you'll see how you can customize maps so they will look the way you want them to look, not the way Google wants them to look. If you are a programmer building map-based webapps, you'll see how open source mapping APIs like Leaflet and Modest Maps make it faster and easier to build map mashups and have them work the way you want.
- MapBox - Justin Miller - @incanus77. Justin is all things iOS for the MapBox team. He'll be joining us again to show us what MapBox has been up to lately (and they've been busy) including their strategy in the Google Maps space, their new iOS SDK, MapBox streets layer, custom styled maps, what Artem from Mapnik is doing now that he's joined the team and what they're doing with open source in general. Something for everyone and a great follow-up to Wm's talk.
Regular meeting business
(e.g., Upcoming GIS events/conferences, next meeting presenters or topics, discussions, updates, etc.)
- URISA abstract submissions needed, CUGOS too
- National conference here this year
- Trying to get whole track on one day, might be interspersed throughout program
- post to CUGOS list too, submit to abstracts to Amy Esnard
- Have we continued on this?
- OSGeo 2011 Annual Report - see also: Discuss call for reports
- Started here, please contribute
- Make edits on wiki or send to list
- Anything else? If not, approve.
- Local Chapter recognition PDX_OSGEO_OSGEO_Local_Chapter_Recognition
- Consider switching to opt-out member list
Future meeting schedule (every fourth Wednesday)
- May 23rd
- June 27
- July 25th
- August 22nd
- September 26th
- October 24th
- November (typically canceled)
- December (typically canceled, or Winter Coders Social)