PDX OSGeo 20141015 Meeting

From OSGeo
Revision as of 18:56, 15 October 2014 by Tchaddad (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Time and Location

  • October 15th, 6-8pm
  • Portland State University Cramer Hall - room 69 - 1721 SW Broadway, Portland, Oregon 97201 - Basement of Cramer Hall. If you enter from the North, by the street car tracks, you will be on the correct floor, take a left and wander past the Geology department until you see it.
  • http://calagator.org/events/1250467164


  1. Meeting plans for 2015 (locations and speakers / topics)
  2. GIS Day
  3. Revisit the PDX OSM building imports project
  4. USGS topo PDFs, how to process and use (Eli)
  5. Best of FOSS4G talks (suggestions from all)
  6. You! Everyone is welcome to present about geo-topics, let us know what you are working on ideas you have.


Justin (GitHub), Eli (Lincoln County), Percy (PSU Geology), Harvey (PSU Geography), Katie (awesomeness), Darrell (general geo flunky), Tanya (coastal geo), Garrett (Quantum), Kendall McDonald (she has a magnetometer!), Ryan (Trimet), Rob (Android Apps!!), Rafa (Mapbox), Grant (Trimet)

Meeting Notes

Hey, we're getting organized for our next year! Today's meeting at PSU has good turnout, so maybe we'll continue the trend. Geology 69 and Geography 419 both might be good locations for meetings in the future. We've started a list of topics for future months here:


We will have a November meeting on Nov 19th but no December meeting. Go to the Winter Coders social instead!! (check Calagator of details).

OSM Building import

We want to import all the buildings in the Metro area! The last time we discussed this was at State of the Map US in DC, but we haven't made much progress because we took time off to organize FOSS4G. Notes from State of the Map are here:


Details about what we are working on are here:


and here:


Approx 85% +/- of the buildings are easily handled (one address per building etc), so these should be handled in an automated process in a phase 1. The remaining edge cases should be able to be focused on in a more detailed hand-curated process. For example, we could create a Task Manager process to work on the remaining 15% edge case problem buildings (apartment buildings and conflicts with existing building for examples).

There is a rumor that Metro is currently trying to improve the address data (Ben Sainsbury?) and this might cause us to want to wait for the next release before we go forward. Grant will check with Metro on this and report back.

Justin has some pull requests that will help with the chunking problem.

Next step for how we interact with the OSM-Import community, is for us to complete the items in GitHub Issue #8, and release our plan to the community.

GIS day (November 19th Meeting)

Next meeting is on GIS day! The next day is PostGIS day! We will try to coordinate with the ASPRS campus group to publicize it.

Maybe we can do it at the Rail Heritage Center. Grant will contact the YP group. Tanya will call RHC. Percy will talk to Deb. Eli will help with URISA reimbursement. We may have up to $600 in the budget (between PDXOSGeo and YPs). Maybe we should do Eventbrite to make the planning a bit more predictable...

Eli's presentation on USGS Topo PDFs

Eli will insert his awesome notes here :)

The Topo format now being used by USGS is GeoPDF, which users may find initially annoying, but has some benefits. A GeoPDF can hold both raster and vector data, and both can be extracted by OGR/GDAL. Check it out!

Eli's presentation on USGS Topo PDFs