PostGIS SoC Ideas 2007
- 1 Ideas for Google Summer of Code students wanting to work on PostGIS
- 2 Potential Mentors
- 3 Other projects
Ideas for Google Summer of Code students wanting to work on PostGIS
Topology model and operations
The project consists in providing a standardized interface for storing topology information, that is sets of Edges, Nodes, Areas and their relations in constituting a Feature. There's already a draft implementation of the model, what can be done is (in random order):
- Implementing topological operation directly using the topology model rather then converting input to simple Geometries.
- Import from / export to popular topology data formats (ie: TIGER)
Network model and operations
The project is aimed at providing a standardized interface for topological network information storage and operations. Tipical use would be modeling communication networks, composed by Links and Nodes, and performing tasks such as least cost path finding.
Linking to CGAL Library
The Computational Geometry Algorithms Library supports many algorithms for spatial analysis. Voronois, delaunays, etc.
Linking to Boost Graph Library
The Boost Graph Library supports many algorithms for graph and network analysis. Because it uses a generic iterator-based interface, it can easily be grafted into other frameworks simply by providing the appropriate iterator classes.
Coverage model and operations
Allow storage and operations on coverage (raster-like) data.
GEOS performance improvements
The GEOS C++ library suffers from a design too closely bound to it's Java-implemented parent, JTS. This approach has introduced an unnecessary overhead throughout the whole operations flow due to excessive dynamic polymorphism and heap allocations. Redesigning the most used subsystems could improve the overall performance. Random ideas:
- Redesign index classes using a templated approach.
- Enforce use of standard algorithms wherever appropriate.
Developers in the PostGIS community who would be interested in supporting one of the above projects:
- Mateusz Loskot - mloskotgmail.com - interested in supporting GEOS performance improvements task
- Tim Keitt - I'm interested in supporting "Network model and operations" and "Coverage model and operations" tasks
Please see Google Summer of Code