Romanian Chapter Report 2009
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Romanian Local Chapter
- Contact name: Vasile Crăciunescu
- Visibility at conferences and workshops:
- 22-23 May 2009: presentation entitled "Bucharest air quality management system build entirely with FLOSS software" at eLiberatica 2009 (http://www.eliberatica.ro/2009), in Bucharest - Romania.
- 16-17 October 2009: general presentation at 17th GIS Users Conference, Iasi - Romania.
- 20-23 October 2009: poster presentation of geo-spatial.org activities at FOSS4G2009, Sydney - Australia.
- Romanian articles and tutorials published on geo-spatial.org:
- http://earth.unibuc.ro/tutoriale/extragere-profile (tutorial for creating terrain profiles using several GIS software including QGIS and SAGA GIS)
- http://earth.unibuc.ro/tutoriale/realizare-mozaic (tutorial for creating very large image mosaics using GDAL)
- http://earth.unibuc.ro/tutoriale/import-shp-to-postgis (tutorial on importing an Shapfile in PostGIS)
- http://earth.unibuc.ro/tutoriale/realizarea-unui-model-3d-animat-al-terenului-folosind-saga-gis (tutorial creating a 3D animation in SAGA GIS)
- http://earth.unibuc.ro/recenzii/grassbook (A Romanian review for the "Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach. Third Edition" book)
- Meetings and workshops:
- 3-4 April 2009: the first major FOSS4G workshop organized in Romania. aprox. 140 attendees. City: Cluj Napoca. Dedicated workshops for webmapping (OpenLayers, GeoServer, GeoNetwork), image processing (LeoWorks), spatial analysis (SAGA GIS), 3D visualization (VTP). Details at http://earth.unibuc.ro/index.php?id=244. Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26994138@N00/sets/72157616418350124/
- 13-14 December: Romanian local chapter meeting + workshop. 14 attendees. City: Brasov. Photos at http://picasaweb.google.ro/mdomnita/2009DecBrasov#.
- Work on open geodata:
- Detailed data for Danube Delta and Dobrogea region (http://earth.unibuc.ro/download/seturi-date-geospatiale-locale#DeltaDun%C4%83rii).
- Detailed data for the city of Câmpulung Moldovenesc (http://earth.unibuc.ro/download/seturi-date-geospatiale-locale#ClungMold).
- Detailed data for the city of Ceahlău mountain (http://earth.unibuc.ro/download/seturi-date-geospatiale-locale#Ceahlau).
- The soviet topo maps, scale 1:100 000, georeferenced in Stereo70 (http://earth.unibuc.ro/download/hartile-sovietice-1-100-000-reproiectate-in-stereo70).
Areas for Improvement
- Present the FOSS benefits to companies involved in the geospatial business here in Romania
Opportunities to Help
- Join and express your opinions to our local mailing lists (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/geo-spatial) or forum (http://www.nabble.com/geo-spatial.org-f25985.html)
- Volunteers for translations, write new materials, help on organizing workshops
Outlook for 2010
- In partnership with the Faculty of Geography - University Babes - Bolyai, Cluj Napoca, we are organizing the second edition of an seminar on free and open source geospatial solutions. The event will take place between 16-16 of April 2010 and will be hosted by the Faculty of Geography, in Cluj Napoca.
- Regular meetings during the whole year
- Become an official local chapter
- Publish more articles and datasets on geo-spatial.org
- Attract as many people is possible to FOSS4G2010