SAC Service Status
Infrastructure of OSGeo System Administration Committee (SAC)
For emergency plans see: SAC:Admin and Troubleshooting
- 1 Servers at OSL
- 2 Cloud Hosted Servers and other external under SAC Control
- 3 QGIS off OSGeo
- 4 Historical servers (not more in use)
Servers at OSL
Open Source Labs - 4 physical machines containing x virtual machines.
If VM hanging, see OSL for how to open a ticket with OSUOSL's support.
All SAC administrators have LDAP auth to the OSL Virtual Machines.
To ssh into a server using your LDAP account, you can do the following replacing your_osgeo_login with your OSGeo login and vmname with the vm name of the server at OSL.
When prompted for password, use your OSGeo Login password.
SAC:Primary Administrators also have ssh key access in case LDAP is down and that will also apply to the physical machines. Worst case scenario use the information on Open Source Labs to file a ticket (SAC members only). Direct connection to virtual machines is by appending it's vm alias to .osgeo.osuosl.org.
- Live Status via Munin
New server just came in as of June 2018. Intended to replace osgeo3 and whatever left on osgeo4. Configuration Details
Running LXD 3 snap based container management -- currently at LXD version 3.16
Accessing containers via ssh
Only the download.osgeo.org is directly exposed ssh via port 22. To access the other containers, you can tunnel thru download.osgeo.org -- You will need an ssh key on download already to do so.
A convenient block to add to your own `.ssh/config` file follows:
Host osgeo-* ProxyCommand ssh download.osgeo.org -W $(sed -e "s/^osgeo-//;s/$/.lxd/" <<< "%h"):%p
With the above in place, you can connect to any container using:
Services currently on:
Container Name: download.lxd Moved 5/5/2019 from osgeo3 https://download.osgeo.org Setup detailed in OSGeo7 Download container This is new home of download.osgeo.org, it's a debian 9 container (now locked down to only allow ssh key access / ldap auth) for ssh. It is running nginx instead of apache that the old ran. It has webdav with single local htaccess account geotools for geotools bot use.
Container Name: secure.lxd
secure -- ldap.osgeo.org SAC:LDAP used for ldap service (a rebuild of old secure.osgeo.osuosl.org) now on Debian 9
Collabora - Ubuntu 18.04 LXD container for LibreOffice/MS Office online document editor currently used exclusively by nextcloud.osgeo.org. Setup detailed in Nextcloud setup
- nginx.lxd - proxy that routes all http/https traffick for the other containers (can only be accessed via osgeo7 host)
- 1.0 server of drone.io runs in an LXD container details Dronie
old-projects -- this is the old projects.osgeo.osuosl.org migrated as an lxd container, so more or less the same as it was before, with the exception that all the websites are now proxied thru the nginx container. Websites like on it are community-review.foss4g.org and spatialreference.org
To access you need to go thru download.osgeo.org -> old-projects.lxd
old-adhoc -- this is the old adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org migrated as an lxd container. Used by osgeo-live for there test docs and by grass for earthquake, and mapserver for demo
Adhoc 2019-05-08 THIS VM has been migrated to osgeo7 as an LXD container old-adhoc
- VM used for projects for various adhoc purposes. Risks to system stability that would be unacceptable on the Projects VM may be ok here.
- See AdhocVM for full details, and some notes on services running here.
- eg http://adhoc.osgeo.osuosl.org/livedvd/docs/en/quickstart/
- old-web --- the old web.osgeo.osuosl.org (was on osgeo3) currently only housing https://id.osgeo.org/ for LDAP management. The rest are planned to be moved here
See Osgeo6 for full details
- Backup now runs on dedicated hardware
- Provides Rsync backups of download.osgeo.org
- Provides Bacula backups of various VMs.
- See SAC:Backups for details.
osgeo4 is a real server managed by OSUOSL - can be access via ssh firstname.lastname@example.org -p 2222 (only people with their access keys installed can log in and doesn't allow password access) - password for tech_dev is in the secure container (on osgeo7) / access folder.
In August 2019 the server had new power supply put in and replacement disks. It was reformatted with Ubuntu 18.04.3 to serve as secondary LXD host to osgeo7 zfsutils-linux was installed so lxd can use zfs for storage.
Work is in process to make this a secondary LXD host.
It's makeup is as follows:
|Disks||6 1.8 TB drives|
|CPUs||8 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5540 @ 2.53GHz (8192kb cache)|
lsblk -i NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT sda 8:0 0 1.8T 0 disk |-sda1 8:1 0 953M 0 part | `-md0 9:0 0 952M 0 raid1 /boot `-sda2 8:2 0 46.6G 0 part `-md1 9:1 0 46.5G 0 raid1 |-lvm-root 253:0 0 37.3G 0 lvm / `-lvm-swap 253:1 0 7.5G 0 lvm [SWAP] sdb 8:16 0 1.8T 0 disk |-sdb1 8:17 0 953M 0 part | `-md0 9:0 0 952M 0 raid1 /boot `-sdb2 8:18 0 46.6G 0 part `-md1 9:1 0 46.5G 0 raid1 |-lvm-root 253:0 0 37.3G 0 lvm / `-lvm-swap 253:1 0 7.5G 0 lvm [SWAP] sdc 8:32 0 1.8T 0 disk sdd 8:48 0 1.8T 0 disk sde 8:64 0 1.8T 0 disk sdf 8:80 0 1.8T 0 disk
sdc,sdd,sde,sdf form a zfs osgeo4_lxd partition (sdc,sdd) mirrors sde,sdf for total lxd capacity of 3.62 TB
osgeo3 is a real server managed by OSUOSL and running a virtualization solution (ganeti+kvm) to provide Virtual Machines which are the ones SAC can access and manage. SAC can _not_ access osgeo3 directly, but has to contact OSUOSL for that.
Each of the sections below represent a Virtual Machine and describes which services are running on it, and by which name they are reachable.
See OSGeo Wiki
- See TracsvnVM for full details, and some notes on services running here
* Drupal instances for the main OSGeo web site and projects like MapGuide and FDO are hosted here (??). DEFUNCT- moved to wordpress on web18a.osgeo.osuosl.org
- Virtual Hosts (on same server)
- LDAP Python Admin Scripts in /usr/lib/cgi-bin - accessed via https://id.osgeo.org (this current reside on osgeo7 lxd container called old-web)
See Infrastructure Transition Plan 2010#Final_Plan for full details.
* Infrastructure Transition Plan 2010#osgeo3_.26_osgeo4
* Lots of config information in the Migration Documentation.
- SAC:Backups describes backup strategy.
- Template VM used when creating new VMs.
- Not normally running - make a special request to OSL to start it up.
- See WebExtraVM for full details (server: http://webextra.osgeo.osuosl.org)
- hosts http://planet.osgeo.org, http://mum03.mapserver.org, http://live.osgeo.org
- http://foss4g.org (main portal) and archive of old sites 2006-2014
- http://conference.osgeo.org - Conference System (also: SAC:Setup_OCS)
- http://journal.osgeo.org / osgeo.org/ojs - Journal System
- Redirects for many chapter and other urls handled via /etc/httpd/conf.d/rewrite.conf
Cloud Hosted Servers and other external under SAC Control
For lxd experimentation it's an lxd container running other lxd containers and provided by funtoo.org.
OSGeo Funtoo osgeo.host.funtoo.org
LXDs currently running
LimeSurvey -this may be in future migrated to osgeo7
(Cloud hosted server on OSUOSL hardware (not ours) )
- Debian 9.3 4GB server, host name: web18a.osgeo.osuosl.org require ssh key to log in.
- Hosts wordpress sites staging.www.osgeo.org,www.osgeo.org, staging.grass.osgeo.org, foss4g2018.osgeo.org
- Setup details on Web18a setup
- host.postgis.net -p 2222 is an LXD Debian 10 8GB RAM
- Currenlty running two lxd containers:
debbie: postgis.net, planet.postgis.net, debbie.postgis.net (jenkins build bot) debbie-docker.host.postgis.net - runs docker and serves as a 1.0 agent for dronie.osgeo.org
QGIS off OSGeo
Services on separated machines rented and managed by the QGIS project at hetzner
- website including documentation http://www.qgis.org
- website building, documentation building, debian/ubuntu nightlies, plugins.qgis.org
- issues.qgis.org: redmine