Difference between revisions of "Second VisCom Meeting Minutes"

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search
(Committee Membership: construction)
m (incremental save)
Line 24: Line 24:
 
* add Daniel
 
* add Daniel
  
Daniel will check viscom mailing list and verify - daniel - to mpg&arnulf
+
Daniel will check viscom mailing list and verify mpg and Arnulf are both owner-moderator types.
  
*
+
=== Subteam Formation ==-
  
Process for press release
+
We have spun off three "subteams" (see original agenda for details):
- board mandate to VisCom
+
- not "what" but certainly "how" and "when"
+
- publish Wiki page for process
+
- review process
+
- Dave volunteers for PR management
+
  
*
+
* "marketing operations/logistics" and "conferences"
 +
** Peter to own this one, with Dave's help
 +
* "library"
 +
** mpg to own ("editor")
 +
* "outreach"
 +
* Dave to own this
 +
* Daniel and mpg volunteer to help out
  
Peter takes ops/logistics - lump into with group 2
+
Arnulf will, presumably, be in charge of keeping all these subunits properly aligned.
mpg takes library
+
Dave - outreach, mpg to volunteer to help, and Daniel
+
  
*
 
  
discussion of confluence, private list, etc
+
=== Of Press Releases and Stuff Like That ===
telascience press release
+
mapbuilder 1.0 release
+
who did the first two press releases?
+
multilang is nice - nice, by volunteers
+
wiki page to point people to
+
  
*
+
Press release issues now fall under Peter's team.  He will be setting up a wiki page somewhere.
  
OSGeo website stats
+
We have a "request" ("mandate"?) from the Board to define the process for getting press releases out -- who to submit them to inside OSGeo, who they get reviewed by, what the press distribition list is, etc.
daniel has stats available
+
monthly report
+
noting date of PR events
+
  
*
+
There is an expectation of doing a new PR every two weeks or so.
  
TODO - next mtg
+
PR fodder can be: project major release, project entered/exited incubation, elections, conference/show attendences, sponsorships, etc.
 +
 
 +
We note that VisCom is responsible for the "how" and the "when", but not the "what".  Our job is to "gig" the rest of the Foundation into coming to us so as to get us to help them shepherd along their good content and ideas.
 +
 
 +
Side discussion about the want/need for restricted-access wiki pages and/or private mailing list.  Not sure we reached closure, but (I think) Chris volunteered to do a Confluence site if need be.
 +
 
 +
Two press releases are currently in the pipeline (at the beginning of the pipeline, technically): one for Telascience's hosting support and one for MapBuilder's 1.0 release.
 +
 
 +
We like having volunteers do language translations of the press releases.  Autodesk handled some of this for the first two; in future, we would just do it ourselves.  I note that simultaneous translation, e.g. on the day of the release, is desirable but by no means required.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
=== Web Site Stats ===
 +
 
 +
Daniel has stats available for us, e.g. to see how many hits we got after a press release.  He will be sending out a report monthly for us to peruse and ponder.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
=== The Big "TODO" List ===
 +
 
 +
mpg to cleanup and refactor a bit, when setting up the 3rd meeting agenda page.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
===
  
 
*  
 
*  

Revision as of 13:18, 27 April 2006

CONTENT IN PROGRESS -- DRAFT ONLY

Logistics

The second meeting was held April 27th, 2006. The agenda can be found at Second_VisCom_Meeting.

The meeting was held via conf call (courtesy Daniel), lasting one hour. mpg ran the meeting, as Arnulf was stuck on a train somewhere.

Attendees:

  • Michael P. Gerlek
  • Dave McIlhagga
  • Daniel Brookshier
  • Chris Holmes
  • Peter Moran

Committee Membership

The current list is out of date / incorrect / wrong. mpg to update as follows:

  • check status of Jason, Tyler, Markus, Mark
  • remove Sean (as he is doing WebCom)
  • add Peter
  • add Chris
  • add Daniel

Daniel will check viscom mailing list and verify mpg and Arnulf are both owner-moderator types.

=== Subteam Formation ==-

We have spun off three "subteams" (see original agenda for details):

  • "marketing operations/logistics" and "conferences"
    • Peter to own this one, with Dave's help
  • "library"
    • mpg to own ("editor")
  • "outreach"
  • Dave to own this
  • Daniel and mpg volunteer to help out

Arnulf will, presumably, be in charge of keeping all these subunits properly aligned.


Of Press Releases and Stuff Like That

Press release issues now fall under Peter's team. He will be setting up a wiki page somewhere.

We have a "request" ("mandate"?) from the Board to define the process for getting press releases out -- who to submit them to inside OSGeo, who they get reviewed by, what the press distribition list is, etc.

There is an expectation of doing a new PR every two weeks or so.

PR fodder can be: project major release, project entered/exited incubation, elections, conference/show attendences, sponsorships, etc.

We note that VisCom is responsible for the "how" and the "when", but not the "what". Our job is to "gig" the rest of the Foundation into coming to us so as to get us to help them shepherd along their good content and ideas.

Side discussion about the want/need for restricted-access wiki pages and/or private mailing list. Not sure we reached closure, but (I think) Chris volunteered to do a Confluence site if need be.

Two press releases are currently in the pipeline (at the beginning of the pipeline, technically): one for Telascience's hosting support and one for MapBuilder's 1.0 release.

We like having volunteers do language translations of the press releases. Autodesk handled some of this for the first two; in future, we would just do it ourselves. I note that simultaneous translation, e.g. on the day of the release, is desirable but by no means required.


Web Site Stats

Daniel has stats available for us, e.g. to see how many hits we got after a press release. He will be sending out a report monthly for us to peruse and ponder.


The Big "TODO" List

mpg to cleanup and refactor a bit, when setting up the 3rd meeting agenda page.


=

slogans - separate from logos? another contest?

"Start discussion on OSGeo/Project promotion potential" VisCom's job to gig projects to promote themselves we are conduit for that communication marketing support we need to advertise our own capabilities Daniel

WebCom does what it is told VisCom tell what to do

Where 2.0 - 15 min on OSGeo

 3 lightning talks (Frank, Jody, Chris)
 Schulyer talk
 15 What Is slot (Tyler)
 Autodesk keynote (Gary Lang)
 can we get a booth? (via Autodesk?)
 open data committee (Tim O'Reilly
 Dave, mpg attending
 BOF - OSGeo - members and interested people

next mtg in two weeks, thursday, Am Daniel conf call, skype in as reqid > 877-326-2337 id 3206046# > 303-928 3232 intl number