Talk:FOSS4G 2018 Community Sprint
Invitation for FOSS4G 2018 Community Sprint
- Title: Join us at the FOSS4G 2018 Community Sprint 1.-2.9.2018 dLAB (Dar Es Salaam)
The FOSS4G Community Sprint is after the gloabal FOSS4G conference and has the aim to bring people together.
The Sprint takes place from Saturday till Sunday. September 1 to 2, 2018 in the Tansania Data Lab in Dar Es Salaam (dLAB, Tansania) from 8AM - 5PM.
Great opportunity to meet other OSGeo member and get involved and learn about other projects! Or you can get started with OSGeo – learn about OSGeo structure, mailing lists, projects & local chapters or maybe just get connected.
Our aim is also to bring together project members to make decisions and tackle larger geospatial problems. We follow this tradition since 2009.
Everyone is welcome. You should not miss the event.
We expect about 50 community members from all over the world to come from various OSGeo projects. Whether desktop application, geospatial library, metadata catalog or web mapping. The Community Sprint is an opportunity for developers and non developers to meet with the core team of the projects, get a deeper insight into the software and participate in development, testing or documentation.
The sprint will take place at the Tansania DataLab in Dar Es Saalam.
Register (important for better planning): https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2018_Community_Sprint
See you soon at FOSS4G!
The Community Sprint Team
Sprint Info for OSGeo Funding
A request for supporting a sprint by OSGeo should include the following information about the event and the funding model for it:
Have a look at the sprint page:
- Audience: how many people are expected? - +- 100 - 150
- Region: is the sprint localized to a specific region? - Dar Es Saalam, Community Sprint is scheduled around FOSS4G 2018
- Projects: is the sprint to work on just one specific project, or is it for multiple projects? - all OSGeo projects
- Length: how many days will the sprint cover? saturday-sunday -> 2 days
- Venue: where will the sprint be held? will food be provided? will overnight lodging be provided?
- Tansania DataLab, Dar Es Saalam
- overnight lodging is not provided. Participants have to pay for the lodging.
- Only food and drinks are provided
- Where is the prospective budget published? Provide a link to a publicly accessible resource (e.g. wiki). The prospective budget shall list the levels/amounts of forecasted sponsorship, and show that OSGeo is providing matching funds (see Sponsorship Criteria below).
NEED THIS IN OUR WIKI!!!
The budget shall contain the following information:
- what is the expected registration fee, if any, for each attendee?
- there is no fee
- what is the expected amount of third-party sponsorships?
- what in-kind donations are expected (such as donated use of a conference room)?
- no extra costs for the room
- what is the desired amount of OSGeo sponsorship?
- would be great if OSGeo could cover the costs for drinks and food
- what is the expected cost per attendee, for travel, lodging, and food?
- food and drinks ??
Profit / Loss / Risk
- What is the expected profit of the event, if any? where will any surplus money go?
- community building, work on OSGeo projects
- Under what circumstances might the event incur a loss? how will this risk be mitigated?
- if OSGeo does not pay for food/drinks a different sponsor has to be found
- Descision from OSGeo Board 2018-08-1
- Sponosor the event with up to 2.000 $