The mission of the UK Chapter broadly follows the general OSGeo Mission, with emphasis on the following areas: (please add and edit as you see fit):
- To provide a forum for discussion and promotion of Open Source Geospatial Software in the UK
- To help more UK organisations discover the opportunity of open source geospatial tools, and collate business studies of successful transitions
- To raise awareness of the benefits of public access to geodata in the UK by collating links to sources of legitimate free data
In addition we would like to work towards the following:
- A fully-featured open access UK SDI
- Someday hosting the FOSS4G conference in the UK
Meetings and Events
One really useful role of a UK OSGeo chapter would be as a focal point for organising meetings - evening presentation sessions or short seminars with Q and A afterwards.
24-25th September 2008: AGI Geocommunity 08 . While we have been unable to secure a room for a meetup at this event, we should aim to get as many interested people together, even if it's just for a chat at lunchtime.
16-17th June 2008: Meetup during the University of Nottingham's Geowebservices workshop. We are looking for people to help promote OSGeo at the event- check out the mailing list for details. See the wiki page here for further details and discussion.
1st May 2008: UK OSGEO meetup after 1Spatial Conference at Radisson Hotel, Stansted. This is your chance to decide what a UK local chapter should do! See the wiki page here to sign up.
- There will be a few OpenStreetMap people at this event too (there's a fair degree of overlap). Crash space is available, and nice pubs will be visited!
Tuesday September, 26th 2006: Steve Coast of OpenStreetmap fame gave a talk to the BCS entitled Geospatial Open Source Activity. Details at http://geospatial.bcs.org/site/index.php?s=future-events#3
OpenStreetmap also have regular UK mapping parties in different cities
Don't forget to sign the Inspire petition -and tell your friends too - you don't have to use geo-data to believe that publically funded work should be public property! http://petition.publicgeodata.org/
Sign up here to show interest! Also join the mailing list so we can be in touch directly.
- User:Chrisputtick- Yes, definitely worth doing
- User:JoCook - woohoo!
- User:Stuarteve - +1
- User:Simon - Excellent! All for this!!
- andrewlarcombe"andrewlarcombe" is not recognized as a Boolean (true/false) value.
- User:Gagravarr - involved in OpenGuides and OpenStreetMap in the UK
- User:Mander - New to all this, but it sounds interesting and I'd like to be involved.
- User:rollo - sign me up!
- User:Robert Newnham
- Suchith Anand