Few words about me.
At present I am working at the Institute of Soil Science and Plant Cultivation - State Research Institute IUNG-PIB in Poland. In IUNG-PIB I am running several projects, dealing with ICT in agriculture, agricultural irrigation, new fertilizers, agroforestry, watershed processes, soil erosion as well as application works on SDI and European INSPIRE directive. Recently I was coordinating IUNG's team within the ENORASIS project aimed at developing an innovative irrigation DSS for farmers and advisors. I had the pleasure to be co-author of its core DSS component. I was also responsible for work package addressing pilot implementation of irrigation optimization system, based partially upon the open source SOS Server by Maxi Cannata from SUPSI (CH). I am the co-owner of Aquastatus irrigation DSS.
In the years 2004-2005 and 2007-2010 I've been working at the Catholic University of Leuven K.U. Leuven in Belgium - more precisely in one of its research&development units - Spatial Applications Division Leuven (SADL) User:SADL: . I was dealing with FOSS4G within two projects:
- till April 2009 within CASCADOSS project as its Technical Director
- FOSS4G training initiatives performed at SADL
My professional experience includes: GIS/RS in environmental/agricultural/spatial management domains, spatial modelling (erosion, landsliding, watershed processes), fundamental research on soil science and soil erosion. Recent experiences are: ICT in agriculture, sofwtare architectures, software evaluation, FOSS4G, WebGIS and various aspects of SDI. More details to be found at my professional webpage
I am interested in FOSS4G since 2000 as I was looking for free GIS solutions for my PhD research. Later on I have been using FOSS4G in my enterprise GeoStudio Poland (www.geostudio.pl). Within CASCADOSS I was involved in software evaluation process and general project management. Now I am looking forward to explore the possibilities to utilize FOSS4G in INSPIRE and SEIS. I am strongly dedicated to the idea of FOSS4G as, knowing from my own experience in Poland, the lack of free software for GI combined with the poor availability of free spatial data, hold the development of GI market, diminishing the range of environmental assessments and potential scientific progress.
FOSS4G related work:
1. Wawer R., 2008. Evaluation and documentation of Open Source GIS&RS software projects. Evaluation Results. CASCADOSS International Symposium. Warsaw, June 2008.
2. Wawer R., 2007. METAGE WebGIS. UMN MapServer in the Visualisaton of Scientific Results. Annals of Geomatics, Tom V, Z. 1: 113-118.
3. Wawer R., 2006. WebGIS in management in crisis situations. An UMN MapServer example. Conference on "Management in Crisis Situations". Warsaw, May 2006.
4. Wawer R., Steenberghen T., Rusztecka M., Podolczak A., Orlitova E. 2008. Evaluation of FOSS4G software projects for environmental applications. Evaluation of gvSIG. 4th gvSIG Conference, Valencia, December 20008.
5. Van Orshoven, J., R. Wawer and Duytschaever K., 2009. Effectiveness of a train-the-trainer initiative dealing with free and open source software for geomatics. CD-ROM-proceedings of the AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science 2009, held in Hannover, Germany, 2-5-june-2009.
6. Van Orshoven, J., R. Wawer, 2010. Effectiveness Over Time of a Short Training Initiative Related to Free and Open Source Software for Earth Image Processing. 30th EARSeL Symposium: Remote Sensing for Science, Education and Culture. May 31st-June 3rd 2010, Paris
7. Van Orshoven J., Wawer R., 2010. Adoption of free and open source software for geomatics as a function of time after a dedicated training initiative. Seventh European GIS Education Seminar, September 9-12 2010, Greece (accepted).
8. R. Wawer , B. Podolski, E. Nowocien, 2009. FOSS4G in landscape assessment. An example from Lublin Region, Poland. Poster. CASCADOSS Regional Workshop for Benelux. Leuven 5-6 February 2009.
9. R. Wawer , T. Steenberghen, J. Van Orshoven, 2008. Development of a trans-national cascade training programme on Open Source GIS&RS Software for environmental applications. Poster. 4th gvSIG Conference, Valencia, December 20008
10. R. Wawer, J. Van Orshoven, 2010. Summer Training Courses on FOSS4G 2007-2009. OSGeo Journal, Vol. 6.
11. R. Wawer, M. Rusztecka, Erika Orlitowa, Adam Podolcsak, Therese Steenberghen, 2010. CASCADOSS International Symposium and International Information Workshop. Events’ report. OSGeo Journal, Vol. 6.
12. Wawer R., Vandenbroucke D., 2010. Summary report on the status of environmental monitoring and reporting in Europe. Shared Environmental Information System in Europe - State of Play. Deliverable 3.1. NESIS network. PDF
- Excercises for CASCADOSS Regional Workshop for Benelux. Mapserver, Quantum GIS
- Customizing Quantum GIS. Core set of plugins:
- North Star
- MapServer Export (MS4W)
- Add WFS Layer
- GPS export
- Setting up WMS/WFS service and client using Quantum GIS and MapServer. MSWindows environment. MS4W.
- Setting up WMS/WFS service and client using Quantum GIS and MapServer. Linux environment - CASCADOSS LiveDVD.
- Evaluating OSS GIS/RS and EA software projects. Evaluation of MapServer. CASCADOSS LiveDVD.
Prof. Dr. Rafal Wawer
ul. Czartoryskich 8
24-100 Pulawy Poland