Web site design
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This wiki is the place where the Marketing Comittee of OSGeo is planning the redesigning of the OSGeo Web site following a user-centered design process (UCD). The main goals of the redesign are to provide:
* increased usability of the OSGeo Web site, and * increased use of the resources on the OSGeo Web site due to better usability. * aligning site branding with an official print design
1) Analysis of the Current website
- Content Design
- Layout Design
- Navigation Design
- Visual Design
2) Define areas that need improvement
- Content Design:
- Some of the written content could be summarized
- The site is very static and rigid. The community lives somewhere else. Do we want a more active site?
- Layout Design:
- Navigation Design:
- The Login section is not easy to find on the homepage
- We have a very long menu. It should be shortened.
- Visual Design:
- More images may make the website a bit more friendly
- The site could use more color.
- User centered Design
- User testing
- Tied to branding of print material
- We should implement a search. Probably google site search.
- Language selection could be made better
- The navigation menu is not the correct place to put language selection in.
- A alternative way could be to have a "change language" link in the top banner somewhere, which would take the user to a page like this.
- 10 tips for a usable website
- Book: Web Design for Return on Investment
- Flag as a symbol of language - stupidity or insult?