Difference between revisions of "Where 2.0 2006"

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search
(Press Event: Developer Roundtable)
m (add marketing category)
 
(33 intermediate revisions by 13 users not shown)
Line 7: Line 7:
 
Several people from OSGeo (and some non-OSGeo) are doing presentations at the conference.
 
Several people from OSGeo (and some non-OSGeo) are doing presentations at the conference.
 
* Chris Holmes: [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2006/view/e_sess/9403 Lightning Talk on Geoserver]
 
* Chris Holmes: [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2006/view/e_sess/9403 Lightning Talk on Geoserver]
 +
* Bob Bray: Lightning Talk on MapGuide Open Source
 
* Gary Lang: [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2006/view/e_sess/9390 "Opening” the Possibilities: API’s and Open Source Code]
 
* Gary Lang: [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2006/view/e_sess/9390 "Opening” the Possibilities: API’s and Open Source Code]
 
* Frank Warmerdam: [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2006/view/e_sess/9404 GDAL]
 
* Frank Warmerdam: [http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2006/view/e_sess/9404 GDAL]
Line 28: Line 29:
 
* Dave McIlhagga, OSGeo in general
 
* Dave McIlhagga, OSGeo in general
 
* Jo Walsh, OSGeo in general
 
* Jo Walsh, OSGeo in general
* Pete Southwood or Arnab Ganguly, MapGuide Open Source
+
* mpg, OSGeo in general (Tuesday only)
* Add your name and project here
+
* Arnulf Christl, OSGeo in detail, Mapbender
 +
* Chris Holmes, OSGeo (and GeoServer).
 +
* Rich Gibson, OSGeo in general
 +
* Dylan Beaudette, GRASS, general stuff
 +
* David Enns, OSGeo in general, MapServer user
 +
* John Graham, OSGeo in general
 +
* Tim Schaub, OSGeo in general
 +
* Josh Livni, OSGeo in general
 +
* Toru Mori, OSGeo in general, for AsiaPac region
 +
* Paul Spencer, ka-Map and MapGuide Open Source
 +
* Bob Bray, MapGuide Open Source
 +
* Brian Topping, Codehaus (will help with set-up and teardown, whatever errands needed) (re: Tyler Mitchell)
  
 
Booth staffing and scheduling will be determined once interested participants are known.
 
Booth staffing and scheduling will be determined once interested participants are known.
Line 52: Line 64:
  
 
*  Tuesday, June 13
 
*  Tuesday, June 13
7:30 pm - 8:30 pm
+
now at 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm
 
*  Location:  Plaza Room
 
*  Location:  Plaza Room
  
Chris Holmes and Michael Gerlek are coordinating this event.
+
Tyler is now running the BOF.
  
 
The "agenda" will be something like this:
 
The "agenda" will be something like this:
  
* Welcome (BOF Host)
+
* Welcome and Intro (Tyler)
  
* "What is OSGeo?" (5-10 mins) (Speaker 1)
+
* "OSGeo and the Open Geodata Project" (5 mins) (Speaker: Jo Walsh)
  
* "An OSGeo Project" (5 mins) (Speaker 2)
+
* "MapServer" (5 mins) (Speaker: Dave McIlhagga)
  
* "An OSGeo Project" (5 mins) (Speaker 3)
+
* "GeoTools and MapBuilder" (5 mins) (Speaker: Brent Owens)
 
+
* "An OSGeo Project" (5 mins) (Speaker 4)
+
  
 
* open discussion (remainder of time, until wee small hours)
 
* open discussion (remainder of time, until wee small hours)
Line 74: Line 84:
  
 
Preference for "Project" speakers will be those who don't get main-stage airtime.  Also, note that I'm explicitly including the "Edu" and "OpenData" groups as projects.
 
Preference for "Project" speakers will be those who don't get main-stage airtime.  Also, note that I'm explicitly including the "Edu" and "OpenData" groups as projects.
 
I, or someone like me, will be the BOF Host.
 
  
 
== Press Event: Developer Roundtable ==
 
== Press Event: Developer Roundtable ==
  
The Press Event will be:
+
Section got too big -- moved to separate page: [[OSGeo at Where PressEvent]]
  
*  Wednesday, June 14
+
== Pre-Conference Messaging ==
*  Time: During Lunchtime - we are investigating getting lunch catered.
+
OSGeo has the opportunity to email conference attendees who have opted in to receive communications regarding the eventThe conference organizers at O'Reilly will provide a list 7-10 days prior to the conference. Chris Holmes has volunteered to craft a message promoting OSGeo activities at Where 2.0 and invite others to join us.
* Location:  TBD
+
*  Participants:  4-6 developers.  Members of the press will be invited. Room capacity is 20 people.
+
  
This will follow the keynotes on Wednesday morning so this is nice timingThere is nothing going on during this lunch hour and there is no exhibit hall during this time.
+
== Flyers and Posters ==
 +
Tyler has taken on gathering content from the current OSGeo projects and producing flyers for each projectPosters for use in the booth are also a possibility...
  
Michael Gerlek is coordinating this event, but will not be able to attendWe are looking for an on-site volunteer to help host and execute this event.
+
== Advertisement ==
 +
Look for a one page ad promoting OSGeo in the conference program.  It is a minimalist design, as our resources are limited here.  The ad will also be repurposed as a flyer and distributed at the boothBanner ads will also be running on selected O'Reilly web sites.
  
Kirsten Davidson (kirsten.davidson@autodesk.com) is the Autodesk coordinator for this.
+
== Library ==
 +
The following materials will be posted after the conference for re-use at other OSGeo events:
  
 +
* Artwork for banners
 +
* Flyers
 +
* Posters (if available)
 +
* Advertisement
 +
* Banner ads
 +
* Presentations
 +
* Presentation template
  
Suggested agenda:
+
[[Category:Past Events]]
 
+
[[Category:Marketing]]
* moderator introduces 4 panel members
+
 
+
* moderator introduces theme
+
** I'm thinking of something readily consumable by the press and suitable for sound-bites along the lines of "What is Driving Open Source Adoption in GIS Today?"  (alternatives welcome)
+
** I'm inclined to not make it too technical, as in addition to the usual GIS media there may well be mainstream tech press there from Big Media like San Jose Merc, WSJ, or NYT
+
 
+
* each panel member gives a 1-2 minute (no more!) opening
+
 
+
* <much active discussion ensues>
+
** this is where the press gets to ask questions
+
** moderator gently aids in keeping discussion alive, as needed
+
** moderator may interject preplanned, leading questions like
+
*** "So just how many copies of MapServer were downloaded last year?"
+
*** "Is it true that both ESRI and Google Earth wouldn't exist today without GDAL?" ''(tee-hee)''
+
 
+
* at the end of the session, each panel member gets a 1 minute wrap-up
+
 
+
 
+
Possible Participants:
+
 
+
* Moderator
+
** '''SUGGESTION:''' Allan Doyle - (title?)
+
** (to be asked)
+
 
+
* Dave McIlhagga - President & CEO of DM Solutions
+
** voice for: corporate provider of open source solutions (small team division)
+
** (confirmed)
+
 
+
* '''SUGGESTION:''' Frank Warmerdam - President of OSGeo and GDAL Lead
+
** voice for: OSGeo Foundation
+
** voice for: developer community
+
** (to be asked)
+
 
+
* '''SUGGESTION:''' Gary Lang - Vice President of Engineering at Autodesk
+
** voice for: corporate provider of open source solutions (large team division), corporate acceptance and transition)''
+
** voice for: mainstream/close-source corporate acceptance of and transition to open source
+
** (being confirmed)
+
 
+
* '''SUGGESTION:''' Schuyler - (title)
+
** voice for: developer community, open data, etc
+
** (to be asked)
+
 
+
== Pre-Conference Messaging ==
+
OSGeo has the opportunity to email conference attendees who have opted in to receive communications regarding the event.  The conference organizers at O'Reilly will provide a list 7-10 days prior to the conference. Chris Holmes has volunteered to craft a message promoting OSGeo activities at Where 2.0 and invite others to join us.
+
 
+
== Advert ==
+
Look for a one page ad promoting OSGeo in the conference program.  It will likely be a minimalist design, as our resources are limited here.  If possible, we will reuse this as a flyer promoting OSGeo.
+

Latest revision as of 17:09, 9 October 2007

Look for plenty of OSGeo visibility and participation at Where 2.0.

Join us at the booth, the Birds of a Feather gathering, or Developer Roundtable!


Speakers

Several people from OSGeo (and some non-OSGeo) are doing presentations at the conference.

Booth Area

A 10 foot x 10 foot OSGeo booth area will be available for use by OSGeo members and projects, on Tuesday June 13.

  • Two 6’ draped counters (20 linear feet)
  • 2 counter height stools
  • 8’ high draped backwall to hang banner
  • High speed Internet connection
  • Electrical connection for two computers

If you are planning to attend the event and would like to participate and represent your project, ADD YOUR NAME AND PROJECT below by May 31.

  • Tyler Mitchell, OSGeo in general
  • Dave McIlhagga, OSGeo in general
  • Jo Walsh, OSGeo in general
  • mpg, OSGeo in general (Tuesday only)
  • Arnulf Christl, OSGeo in detail, Mapbender
  • Chris Holmes, OSGeo (and GeoServer).
  • Rich Gibson, OSGeo in general
  • Dylan Beaudette, GRASS, general stuff
  • David Enns, OSGeo in general, MapServer user
  • John Graham, OSGeo in general
  • Tim Schaub, OSGeo in general
  • Josh Livni, OSGeo in general
  • Toru Mori, OSGeo in general, for AsiaPac region
  • Paul Spencer, ka-Map and MapGuide Open Source
  • Bob Bray, MapGuide Open Source
  • Brian Topping, Codehaus (will help with set-up and teardown, whatever errands needed) (re: Tyler Mitchell)

Booth staffing and scheduling will be determined once interested participants are known.

Exhibit Move-in Hours:

Monday, June 12, 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm

Tuesday, June 13, 7:00 am – 10:00 am

Exhibit Show Hours: Tuesday, June 13, 10:00 am – 7:30 pm

(Actual open time: 10-11, 12-2, 3-4:30, 6-7:30 reception)

Exhibit Move-out Hours:

Tuesday, June 13, 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm

Birds of a Feather Gathering

An informal gathering of the open source geospatial community will occur at:

  • Tuesday, June 13
  • now at 8:30 pm - 9:30 pm
  • Location: Plaza Room

Tyler is now running the BOF.

The "agenda" will be something like this:

  • Welcome and Intro (Tyler)
  • "OSGeo and the Open Geodata Project" (5 mins) (Speaker: Jo Walsh)
  • "MapServer" (5 mins) (Speaker: Dave McIlhagga)
  • "GeoTools and MapBuilder" (5 mins) (Speaker: Brent Owens)
  • open discussion (remainder of time, until wee small hours)

The actual agenda will firm up closer to the time, when we get a better feel for who is going to be presenting what on the main stage, e.g. we don't want to repeat a "What is OSGeo" talk -- and who is actually going to be at the conference.

Preference for "Project" speakers will be those who don't get main-stage airtime. Also, note that I'm explicitly including the "Edu" and "OpenData" groups as projects.

Press Event: Developer Roundtable

Section got too big -- moved to separate page: OSGeo at Where PressEvent

Pre-Conference Messaging

OSGeo has the opportunity to email conference attendees who have opted in to receive communications regarding the event. The conference organizers at O'Reilly will provide a list 7-10 days prior to the conference. Chris Holmes has volunteered to craft a message promoting OSGeo activities at Where 2.0 and invite others to join us.

Flyers and Posters

Tyler has taken on gathering content from the current OSGeo projects and producing flyers for each project. Posters for use in the booth are also a possibility...

Look for a one page ad promoting OSGeo in the conference program. It is a minimalist design, as our resources are limited here. The ad will also be repurposed as a flyer and distributed at the booth. Banner ads will also be running on selected O'Reilly web sites.

Library

The following materials will be posted after the conference for re-use at other OSGeo events:

  • Artwork for banners
  • Flyers
  • Posters (if available)
  • Advertisement
  • Banner ads
  • Presentations
  • Presentation template