

<b>URL</b> <a href="irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006">irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006</a>	<b>Mode</b> +tnc <b>Users</b> 7, 1@, 0%, 0+
<b>Topic</b> <a href="http://www.foss4g2006.org">http://www.foss4g2006.org</a> conference!   Next meeting here: <a href="http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&amp;month=7&amp;year=2006&amp;hour=15&amp;min=0&amp;sec=0">http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&amp;month=7&amp;year=2006&amp;hour=15&amp;min=0&amp;sec=0</a>   Next meeting topic is starting the abstract review process.   IRC Logs: <a href="http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D">http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D</a>	

# #foss4g2006

[INFO] Channel view for “#foss4g2006” opened.

--> YOU (jmckenna) have joined #foss4g2006

==> Topic for #foss4g2006 is “<http://www.foss4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=12&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting is important because submission deadline is July 15th! | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>”

==> Topic for #foss4g2006 was set by jmckenna on Wednesday, July 05, 2006 11:12:55 AM

--> FrankW ([n=nnchatzi@ip-209-172-33-142.reverse.privatedns.com](mailto:n=nnchatzi@ip-209-172-33-142.reverse.privatedns.com)) has joined #foss4g2006

<FrankW> Did I miss the whole meeting again?

<FrankW> Ah, perhaps it is at 11:00am, per worldclock above?

<FrankW> (11:00am EST I mean)

--> flag ([n=chatzill@pub1.heig-vd.ch](mailto:n=chatzill@pub1.heig-vd.ch)) has joined #foss4g2006

--> mapslob ([n=stlime@noah.dnr.state.mn.us](mailto:n=stlime@noah.dnr.state.mn.us)) has joined #foss4g2006

--> oertz ([n=chatzill@d83-179-163-55.cust.tele2.fr](mailto:n=chatzill@d83-179-163-55.cust.tele2.fr)) has joined #foss4g2006

<-> oertz has left #foss4g2006

--> oertz ([n=Olivier@d83-179-163-55.cust.tele2.fr](mailto:n=Olivier@d83-179-163-55.cust.tele2.fr)) has joined #foss4g2006

--> ticheler\_ ([n=ticheler@196.202.133.50](mailto:n=ticheler@196.202.133.50)) has joined #foss4g2006

<-> ticheler has left irc.freenode.net (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))

--> pona ([n=claudio@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com](mailto:n=claudio@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com)) has joined #foss4g2006

<-> ticheler\_ has left irc.freenode.net ()

<FrankW> Is our meeting in a couple minutes?

<oertz> Hi all, yes we can start if you're all ready

<pona> i'm here

<jmckenna> here

<FrankW> I'll drop a note in #osgeo...

<oertz> k

<mapslob> here

--> badard ([n=chatzill@poste32-38.vp.t.ulaval.ca](mailto:n=chatzill@poste32-38.vp.t.ulaval.ca)) has joined #foss4g2006

<oertz> So let's start. Agenda is here : [http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foss4g2006\\_irc\\_20060612](http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foss4g2006_irc_20060612)

<DodgyDude> <<http://ln-s.net/Bi->> (at wiki.osgeo.org)

--> zool ([n=jo@tridity.org](mailto:n=jo@tridity.org)) has joined #foss4g2006

<pona> should we start

<oertz> yep

<FrankW> ok by me.

<oertz> Workshops

**URL** <irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006> **Mode** +tnc **Users** 7, 1@, 0%, 0+  
**Topic** <http://www.foss4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting topic is starting the abstract review process. | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>

<adoyle> sorry I'm late. I need about 5 more minutes to finish something...  
<oertz> we have to inform wks givers about infrastructures  
<jmckenna> in same message we should mention that their registration fees are covered  
<oertz> as we are quiet free to do what we want with all the PCs, there is no real problem  
<pona> I think everything is ok with schedule  
<oertz> k Jeff  
<pona> yes but we need to plan time to prepare either the computer or the livecds  
<oertz> pona, i don't remember, one or two free registration per workshop ?  
<pona> max two per workshops  
<--> pona has left irc.freenode.net (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))  
<--> pona ([n=claude@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com](mailto:n=claude@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com)) has joined #foss4g2006  
<oertz> Jeff, Helena and I had the first contact with workshop givers, so we will again contact them to inform them about technical considerations and ask about their needs  
<oertz> ok, two free registration per workshops  
<pona> attention social event not included CHF 40 ~32 USD for workshop givers  
<oertz> really  
<pona> luc tells me in budget it is only the registration 300 CHF  
<oertz> k, will inform them  
<oertz> Jeff, I will send you the draft of an email for workshop givers, ok ?  
<oertz> and to Helena also (for GRASS workshops)  
<jmckenna> ok  
<oertz> something to add about workshops ?  
<pona> no i think everything is ok including network and wireless  
<oertz> I will update the wiki section about workshops : [http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foss4g2006#Workshop\\_Sessions\\_28Tuesday\\_am\\_2Fpm\\_2B\\_Wednesday\\_pm\\_29](http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foss4g2006#Workshop_Sessions_28Tuesday_am_2Fpm_2B_Wednesday_pm_29)  
<DodgyDude> <<http://ln-s.net/BiF>> (at wiki.osgeo.org)  
<oertz> so, let's talk about next point : conferences and reviewing  
<oertz> first at all, to stimulate registration, we will publish the paper list, even if reviewing is not finished  
<pona> it is necessary  
<oertz> in fact, reviewing does not consist in rejecting papers, so the list is quiet ok  
<oertz> and can be published  
<mapslob> how many papers do you have room for?  
<oertz> there are 82 papers, 4 rooms  
<pona> it is felxible we have at least 4 rooms but we extent to more rooms without too much problem (smaller rooms though)  
<mapslob> 82 submissions or room for 82  
\* [FrankW](#) submitted one an hour ago, and plans 1-2 more.  
<zool> you'll get a last-minute rush before deadline i imagine  
<oertz> thx Franck  
<adoyle> deadline was 6/30  
<mapslob> i'm curious how close to capacity things are already  
<zool> it was moved to 7/15 no??  
<adoyle> I think we need to ask for more demo submissions  
<zool> i've been operating on that understanding.  
<oertz> Allan, for conferences, deadline is July 15th  
<FrankW> Ah, I thought 7/15 was the original deadline...  
<adoyle> oh. I missed that. sorry!  
<zool> :) np had me worried a moment ;;)  
<badard> do we plan to extend the deadline ?  
<badard> as we stimulate registration by publishing the list of papers ...  
<pona> i think we need some more papers in some field (open and free data)  
<oertz> and demo, yes Allan  
<zool> pona, i've been hustling people to submit to that track a bit - and i can do that a bit more widely if you like, to freegis + osm-talk as well...  
<jmckenna> i posted on osgeo-data list regarding open data track  
<jmckenna> thanks zool  
<pona> we will submit a paper about that subject,  
<pona> but i don't want a camptocamp conference  
<pona> it would be nice to have presneters from several continents about open data  
<oertz> ok, so let's contact people and mailing-list to obtain more papers on OpenData and Demos  
<oertz> for Demos, all conference and workshop givers are potential demo givers, so at first we should ask them  
<FrankW> Do we need more presentations on the COM1/COM2 (osgeo, and governance/collab) track?  
<oertz> yes, there are really few presentations in these two tracks,  
<FrankW> I see arnulw was doing one on incubation. I will submit a paper in this area too then.  
<oertz> k, thanx  
<FrankW> Do I have some sort of speech on osgeo already?  
<adoyle> keynote  
<FrankW> Right, I thought so.  
<FrankW> I'll try and do a distinct presentation on some aspect then.  
<FrankW> How long are keynotes supposed to be?  
<pona> Frank, do you already know will you address in your pelnary talk about osgeo?  
<adoyle> until we all fall asleep :)  
<FrankW> lol

URL [irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006](http://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006) Mode +tnc Users 7, 1@, 0%, 0+  
Topic <http://www.foss4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting topic is starting the abstract review process. | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>

<FrankW> OK, I'll work up the abstract this week.  
<adoyle> Frankw - you can get ideas from viscom, I bet  
<pona> general aspect of osgeo or specific one, what difference/complement with Gary's talk  
<FrankW> I'll have to talk to gary to see what he is doing.  
<--> pona has left irc.freenode.net (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))  
<FrankW> I can make something to complement his "open" speech if that's what he is doing.  
<FrankW> doing -> doing.  
<--> pona ([n=claude@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com](mailto:n=claude@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com)) has joined #foss4g2006  
<FrankW> I can make something to complement his "open" speech if that's what he is doing.  
<oertz> ok, assuming presentation is 30min, with 4 rooms, we can have 116 presentations  
<oertz> should a technical session be longer ?  
<adoyle> Does that allow for breaks?  
<adoyle> 30 minutes is generous by EOGeo standards. One year we had to do 15 min talk/5 min questions  
<pona> 30 minutes including questions, so 20 min presentations?  
<jmckenna> seems short for a tech session  
<mapslob> the tech sessions last year were good (90 min) IF the presenter was well prepared  
<mapslob> many topics cannot be covered in 20 min, so the option for longer presentations is nice if possible  
<FrankW> I'm confused by "Technical Session" vs. "Presentation".  
<oertz> ok, so we need to define a short/long presentations and short/long technology session  
<mapslob> perhaps 60 min might be a good compromise  
<FrankW> I didn't see any Presentation type call "Presentation" in the online thing.  
<oertz> sorry, Conference vs Technical Session  
<pona> i think it is possible, on the review we should mark the high end abstracts and give them the possibility with more time  
<FrankW> So "Conference" is the 20 minute session? I'll fix mine, but don't assume people selected properly.  
<mapslob> i think confirmation will definitely be in order  
<oertz> Yes we should ask givers to choose a duration  
<oertz> you say 60 minutes, for a technical session ?  
<adoyle> i agree, this is confusing. I thought all presentations would be ~30 minutes and workshops ~3-4 hours  
<--> pona has left irc.freenode.net (Read error: 104 (Connection reset by peer))  
<--> pona ([n=claude@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com](mailto:n=claude@c2cpc3.camptocamp.com)) has joined #foss4g2006  
<oertz> this is the case, but perhaps now we should ask if people need more, especially for technical session  
<pona> should we really set the time per session and not on quality basis of specific presentations  
<oertz> so, setting the duration would be one purpose of the reviewing, with agreement of the presenter  
<oertz> by contacting them individually  
<adoyle> as long as they don't all want 90 minutes :)  
<oertz> yep!  
<adoyle> so, I guess the plan is to (a) make sure the right submissions are in the right tracks, (b) decide if any need to be rejected - probably not, (c) work out the length with each author, and (d) slot things into time slots.  
<adoyle> and (e) solicit more in some areas  
<FrankW> I assume we might also need a sense of interest level to pick an appropriately sized room?  
<adoyle> good point  
<adoyle> and, we have to let people know as soon as possible if they are accepted, so they can make travel plans if they have not already  
<pona> rooms for conference: 498 places, 302, 180, 96 and many with 40-50 if needed  
<oertz> as we will probably not reject any paper, we could already inform them to plan their coming  
<adoyle> I have not looked at the latest, my only concern is if there are some really "commercial" ones  
<adoyle> e.g. "how I use all ESRI software to manage my sales"  
<adoyle> abstract spam :)  
<pona> i don't think there are such ones yet :)  
<oertz> track managers will discover that perhaps...  
<adoyle> yes, but it's too late if we already accepted them  
<adoyle> but it's pretty obvious in the abstract. so if you have not seen any, then I am not worried  
<oertz> no conference were accepted  
<oertz> about (c) : length choices are 30min - 60min - 90min ?  
<adoyle> that makes it easy to schedule  
<FrankW> oertz: That seems reasonable  
<mapslob> you don't want to mix 90 and 30's though  
<mapslob> what's a session length?  
<pona> min half a day (4 hours) including breaks  
<oertz> there are 2h sessions and 1h30 sessions  
<oertz> I made a quick draft there : <https://conference.osgeo.org/files/documents/42/211/Timetable.pdf>  
<mapslob> cool, then just need to stuff longer talks in the right places 2/60min or 1/90min  
<oertz> yes, or 4\*30, 3\*30, 30+60, ... and so on  
<pona> looks good, so you can have more than one session per track  
<adoyle> I have to leave... I will keep this irc open and will check the logs when I get back.  
<oertz> we will have to fill the boxes, don't know, perhaps Presentation Session 1 + 2 + 3 dedicated to SDI  
<oertz> box = boxes  
<oertz> are we ok with the track managers list ?  
<FrankW> Do we have a list of track managers?  
<oertz> <https://conference.osgeo.org/files/documents/42/197/managersByMainTracks.pdf>  
<oertz> frank, probably do you want to join the list ?  
<FrankW> oertz: I was \*willing\* to if you need more help, but it seems you have a good set.

URL [irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006](http://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006) Mode +tnc Users 7, 1@, 0%, 0+  
Topic <http://www.foss4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting topic is starting the abstract review process. | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>

<FrankW> oertz: Yes, I'd be willing if you need me.  
<oertz> great  
<oertz> so, back to Thierry's question, will we extend the deadline ?  
<oertz> on website  
<FrankW> Was the presentation deadline already extended once?  
<oertz> yes, one time, from June 30th to July 15th  
<FrankW> If we don't officially extend it, will the web software still let people submit new entries?  
<FrankW> I'd be inclined to not officially extend it, but to consider late submissions if that works.  
<oertz> good question ;-)  
<FrankW> Hmm, since we can fairly easily put extra presentations into smaller rooms, perhaps there is no reason not to extend it.  
<badard> Is deadline extension has been announced widely on mailing lists ? cause i do not remember to have read about it ...  
<jmckenna> i vote for no extension, but still accept late ones  
<zool> hm. yeah i was confused about session length; i dug around on the site and got the idea they were all 30 mins and presentation/technical/conference etc indicated topic / audience knowledge, not timing ...  
<oertz> badard : we made some announcement reminder with the new deadline, but no specific announcement for extension  
<jmckenna> agreed, the last round of emails did include the date  
<oertz> zool : that's why we should ask presenters to choose a duration  
<zool> +1 oertz  
<FrankW> I'm +1 on jmckenna idea of not officially extending the deadline, but still accepting new presentations.  
<pona> +1  
<oertz> if 30mins is ok, so don't change anything, but if someone needs more, it's possible  
<pona> and and we can ask specifically potential contributors separatly  
<oertz> we can add contributions manually in Indico  
<oertz> nonetheless, I've to dig further to see what we can do with Indico  
<oertz> so, what about BOFs, Lightning talks, Sol Katz, ...  
<badard> ok ! let's accept late submissions and do not extend the deadline  
<FrankW> I'll take care of establishing a Sol Katz award committee and soliciting nominations if that's ok.  
<jmckenna> i'd also like to help u with that  
<FrankW> jmckenna: Cool  
<oertz> thanx, at my side, I did nothing about that  
<pona> great  
<FrankW> Was there an action item on BOFs?  
<FrankW> I assume we will continue accepting BOF requests right up till the conference since they are quite informal, right?  
<oertz> agree  
<pona> yes  
<badard> ok  
<FrankW> I've added a little section on the wiki page (<http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foss4g2006>) related to opening and closing plenary.  
<FrankW> So I have a place to hang sol katz item.  
<pona> but we will probably have solicit those BOFS directly  
<FrankW> But also, I would like some further details on keynote slots, topics, and whether we are doing "developer roundtables" or similar eents.  
<FrankW> eents -> events  
<oertz> thx Franck  
<pona> keynotes are: Amstein (friday), lang (wednesday), Warmerdam (Wdnesday) Raghavan (not placed) Westervelt (not placed)  
<oertz> "developer roundtables" => yes  
<FrankW> Will they be in the closing plenary or in one of the big session rooms earlier?  
<pona> KN: it was planned in opening and closing plenary  
<FrankW> The opening and closing plenaries don't seem to long for the amount of stuff planned for them.  
<FrankW> keynotes, awards, lightening talks, roundtables.  
<FrankW> 1.5 hours for opening plenary and 2 hours for closing.  
<oertz> can start at 8:30  
<FrankW> We might aim for keynotes more at the 30 minute mark rather than 45.  
<oertz> k  
<pona> do all keynotes need the same time?  
<FrankW> Not necessarily  
<badard> do not forget to have time for questions ... 5, 10 or 15 minutes ?  
<badard> and in addition time for switching from one presenter to another ... if the presenter want to plug his laptop, etc.  
<oertz> agree  
<badard> I have to leave in 5 minutes, sorry ! I would keep my irc session open in order to be able to read the end of the discussions ...  
<pona> what else to discuss?  
<oertz> badard : logs are available here <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>  
<oertz> for me it's ok  
<pona> posters?  
<oertz> 10 posters  
<oertz> when should we plan the poster session ?  
<pona> i think we should just set up spaces to put the posters.  
<pona> posters sessions did not have great success at the previous edition.  
<oertz> so, posters can be seen during the whole conference  
<oertz> are we finished with this great meeting ?  
<FrankW> I think we have covered the bases, and exhausted questions. :-)  
<-> mapslob has left irc.freenode.net ("Leaving")  
<jmckenna> i'm ok here. good meeting

**URL** <irc://irc.freenode.net/foss4g2006> **Mode** +tnc **Users** 7, 1@, 0%, 0+  
**Topic** <http://www.foss4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting topic is starting the abstract review process. | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>

<jmckenna> k  
<-| FrankW has left #foss4g2006  
<oertz> I will send a reminder to isc today and next Monday  
<-| badard has left #foss4g2006  
<jmckenna> k thanks. will change topic now  
== Mode #foss4g2006 +o jmckenna by ChanServ  
<-| pona has left irc.freenode.net ("Leaving")  
== jmckenna has changed the topic to "<http://www.fos00s4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting topic is starting the reviewing process. | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>"  
== jmckenna has changed the topic to "<http://www.fos00s4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting topic is starting the abstract review process. | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>"  
== jmckenna has changed the topic to "<http://www.foss4g2006.org> conference! | Next meeting here: <http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixetime.html?day=19&month=7&year=2006&hour=15&min=0&sec=0> | Next meeting topic is starting the abstract review process. | IRC Logs: <http://linux-gis.co.uk/irclogs/?C=M;O=D>"