Mission Statement / Chapter Objectives
Our inaugural "reboot" meetup is December 4, 2019. We will kick off the discussion there and work to arrive at a shared set of objectives over the next month or so.
Points of Interest and Objectives noted from the meeting
Primary Objectives ( derived from the conversation and still being formalized )
- Setup the Chapter for Ongoing Success
- Develop a chapter leadership structure ( target May 2020 ) - Review Chapter best practice / Touch base with other chapters - Leverage Lessons Learned
- Contribute to OSGeo Projects
- Execute Code-Sprints culminating in pull requests
- Connect the Community in Building Tools
- Lightning Talk style meetups with several builders/speakers per event - Project Pitch/Workshops where folks can bring their problems to the group for discussion or just show how they've accomplished certain things to elicit better/best practices or new approaches
- Connect the Community in Learning Tools
- Project Overview sessions - Workshop sessions ( install app, shared learning )
- Create Resources for Ongoing Use
- Open Data - Develop a well-understood, well-curated repository of open data sources ( not a one-time list of links thrown on a page )
- see the page OSGeo Alberta Members (feel free to add yourself - after creating a wiki login - https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount)
- Our email list is active and monitored. Please see http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/alberta .
- SLACK: #OSGeo Calgary Channel has been created ( discussion active whether that should be OSGeo Alberta or if we would have distinct channels for Alberta areas )
- Adding to Wiki: Request a Wiki account here - https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount
- Meetup.com: All of our Meetups will be administered through meetup.com for the time being. Join Alberta Chapter group here: https://www.meetup.com/OSGeo-Open-Source-Geospatial-Consortium-Alberta-Chapter/
We have a venue - Thanks, Assembly Coworking Space, for a monthly meetup in Calgary. The guys restarting this chapter are mostly in Calgary. We could really use participants/organizers from elsewhere in the province ( Edmonton / Lethbridge, I'm looking at you ).
The next meeting will be on the first Tuesday of the next month, August 3 2010. The meeting will take place at the University of Calgary. For more info check the postings on the OSGeo Alberta email list.
If you have suggestions or comments or anything else, please use the mailing list to allow for transparency.
If you need to speak with one of the organizers privately, reach out to Scott McHale: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are looking to hold events in Edmonton and the Calgary-based organizers are willing to travel to host an event, if needed. Help in identifying Edmonton ( and surrounding area ) speakers, sponsors, and venues would great.
Other Places in Alberta
C'mon, Lethbridge! You're the remote sensing capital of Canada!
Reach out via the any of our communication channels if you want to help organize something. The Calgary organizers are willing to travel to host but help in finding speakers, sponsors, venues would be appreciated.
- Our email list: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/alberta
- Neighbours in the British Columbia Chapter - mainly Vancouver, Victoria, but also a few folk in the interior/north. Some may be interested in co-hosting meetings, etc.
- Canada page giving a good national view
see the same section in Calgary IG on GIS software and Alberta GeoData