Board Meeting 2014-07-17
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This board meeting is scheduled for the 17th of July 2014 at 20.00UTC through IRC and follow up voting by email.
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Review and approve past minutes: Board Meeting 2014-06-12
- Board elections (who will re-stand)
- Jeff/President attendance in Portland / request for 'strategic travel' funding
- Updates on Annual General Meeting in Portland
- Expected income from upcoming FOSS4G events, consequences for the budget?
- add your items here
- Select next meeting timeslot
- Attending: Jeff, Jorge, Gérald from Bremen - Daniel, Bart, Anne, Frank and Cameron (partly) online
- Presiding: Jeff
- Scribing: Anne
Motions (to be confirmed by email)
- MOTION: adopt minutes of 2014-06-12 meeting: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2014-06-12
- 6 times +1, 1 time +0
- MOTION: launch charter member election followed by board election ASAP, with the goal of completing both before FOSS4G, with Jorge Sanz as CRO
- 6 times +1, 1 time +0 (Gérald would prefer Board election first)
- X times +1
Full, raw minutes notes
- 20:00 Meeting starts
- 20:05 Previous meeting minutes approved
- 20:07 Elections 2014
- concern is expressed about tight schedule, but there is agreement on having charter member election, then board election as usual
- 20:10 Proposal: grant early bird price to FOSS4G for Charter members
- proposed by Gérald. An extended version of the proposal is being drafted at http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4GDiscount, and can be integrated in RfP for next FOSS4G (2016)
- most Board members agree with the idea, and don't require a motion to start working on this proposal. A more formal procedure will take place once the proposal is finalised.
- 20:20 Back to Elections 2014
- which Board members restand? Daniel, Jeff and Cameron replied by mail, Anne is concerned about overlap with her other OSGeo duties, Frank does not intend to restand. Daniel confirms he stands again to continue/finish treasurer tasks, unless someone else, preferably from US, steps in.
- most Board members agree that it is important to set the date for elections ASAP, more important than discussing who stands for re-election (that is still important, of course)
- Jorge and Jeff will work on the schedule and send out announcement for elections, with Charter member election first, then Board, all before FOSS4G
- 20:30 Sponsorship
- Daniel informs that he has not invoiced sponsors for 2013 and 2014, because of IRS saga, that is now ended, with OSGeo confirmed as 501(c)(4)
- 20:40 OSGeo-Europe
- Gérald sees U.S. taxation status of OSGeo as an obstacle to obtain European fundings, and supports the idea of creating a legal/formal entity in Europe.
- Several (citation needed - see logs) OSGeo members support this idea as well, and forecast it will require significant planning and work to make it functional.
- Gérald refers Dirk Frigne's idea, to make OSGeo-Europe as a branch of OSGeo under supervision of the main OSGeo Board - and mentions that the idea is so needed that it will be realised soon, with or without main OSGeo (i.e. Board) approval.
- EvenR joins the discussion on how to start the process of OSGeo-Eu creation: on which communication channel, publicly or not - clearly there is already much in-person discussions and there is need to get such people and thoughts together
- Next meeting: proposed date 14 August 2014