Board Meeting 2017-12-23
- roll call
- appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Good morning / Agenda (30 mins)
- Review of State of Play (30 min)
- Draft Budget Read through (30 mins)
- Budget Expectations (60 mins)
- Budget Review (90 mins)
- Budget Finalize (30 mins)
- Role of Board, by-law review, orientation (60 mins)
- Executive Positions (45 mins)
- Meetings schedule (frequency)
- FOSS4G vision by Board (video streaming, etc)
Appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
- Attending: Jody, Angelos, Michael, Jeff, Astrid, Maria A, Vasile, Helena, Maria B
- Presiding: Angelos
- Scribing: Jody
Good morning / Agenda
Six hour meeting scheduled. Establish the above agenda, making an effort to estimate time required for agenda topics. Discussion on priorities, can we do both budget and set executive positions in today's meeting. There may also be a possibility to meet next week.
Review of State of Play
Finance: Transfer from Boston complete, we have a healthy balance to work from in 2018.
Review of 2017 budget, and resulting spending:
- UN: Some travel ended up under director travel.
- How to handle FOSS4G 2019 request, under conference committee?
- Any update on Bonn finances? Blocked on action item to set up an European bank account.
- FOSS4G finance relationship discussion. We have enough to run 3-4 events at a loss.
Review of budget motions from 2017:
Discussion about Code Sprints:
- How to word profit sharing from code-sprints? Goal is to share risk with team running code-sprint. action: Take this to email to revise wording?
- How to support communities needing help to support a code sprint? Goal is to support communities. Board must agree on this topic. https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines
- Is "profit sharing" a new requirement? Discussion on the "profit sharing" expression being mentioned in reply e-mails.
Discussion confirmed we have a contact person for each budget line item. We have an officer (project or committee contact) reporting during the AGM.
Draft Budget Read through
UN Committee ($23k):
- Saved money reusing materials in 2017, moving to geoshape.org and will need to make new content.
- Q: Why would we fund training materials for geoshape more than our own osgeo projects?
- GeoNode is the foundation for GeoShape.
- GeoNode for training material already provided by world bank.
- UN requests materials specific to GeoShape, to make efficient use of time.
- As partner we have to decide what we want to do?
- we have no more software to teach? we could close our involvement ...
- or just attend the meetings, ...
- (previously we trained QGIS and PostGIS)
- can some geoshape functionality to geonode?
- geonode forks: geoshape, exchange, storyscapes, ... apparently how "drupal" projects work?
FOSS4G ($30k): Discussion of video requests from Michael Turner
- is this reasonable?
- can we take this responsibility from LOC? Like with travel grants we could maintain knowlege/procedure across events...
- is this something the conference committee would be willing to do?
- please add to "foss4g cookbook"
- astird: would like to see videos, livestream included - how can we support?
- action: Astrid may look at setting up a technical team to be available to LOC
- support a technical committee to support video recording for Conference LOCs - Astrid POC
- discussion on supporting a long term active, michael is in favour of OSGeo supporting this.
- volunteer: action
MOT1: Motion to approve 2018 budget of $151600
- Motion by Jody
- Seconded by Michael
- Approve: by acclamation
- Moved to Loomio: https://www.loomio.org/p/1zbC2mS7/approve-osgeo-budget-for-2018
- Outcome: Passed