Boston Code Sprint 2013
Get together project members to make decisions and tackle larger problems (as done last year at the IslandWood Code Sprint 2012). This code sprint is targeting members of the "C Tribe" (eg, Mapserver, GRASS, GDAL, Proj, PostGIS, MapGuide, OpenLayers). Other tribes are welcome to join the sprint, of course, but we hope that "C Tribe" members will give this event special consideration.
We have started a Boston Sprint 2013 Agenda page for preliminary planning of tasks.
Dates: TBD (March 2013) Possible options we have available Duration: Four days (9AM - 4PM)
Weekday options run Monday - Thursday: 3/4, 3/11, 3/18, 3/25
Weekend options run Thursday - Sunday: 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21
Downtown Boston we have 2 options going across the street from each other. Both locations are across the street from Boston City Hall.
We have three sponsorship levels:
- Gold: >$2000
- Silver: $1500
- Bronze: $750
We will again be looking for sponsors ($750+) to support food and fun for the sprinters as they work hard and play hard for four productive days. Each sponsorship will be put towards lunch and dinner costs for the sprinters, and potentially bringing in sprinters who might otherwise be unable to attend.
To sponsor, please contact Leo Hsu and Regina Obe (lr at pcorp dot us) directly regarding sponsorship and level of sponsorship you'd like to provide
This is the current list of those who have pledged Bronze
- Flaxen Consulting
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to Boston, variable depending on where you are.
- Accommodation for four nights, $300 to $600 depending on what room you choose and whether you room share.
- Breakfast, dinner and other snacks.
- The sponsorship moneys will be put towards: morning snacks, lunches, dinner (1), social event (?), and supporting
- Please join the mailing list:
- IRC chat during the event:
We are planning for attendance of 20-40. Please add your name and the projects you are hoping to sprint on, if you have a strong intention to attend.
- Leo Hsu (Definite) PostGIS 3/25, 3/18, 3/11, any
- Regina Obe (Definite) PostGIS 3/25, 3/18, 3/11, any
- Michael Smith - US Army Corps - MapServer; PDAL; GDAL/OGR - Will definitely be here
- Daniel Morissette - Mapgears - MapServer; GDAL/OGR - 99.72% sure
- Pierre Racine - University Laval - PostGIS Raster - Possible
- Paul Ramsey - PostGIS - 3/4, 3/25, 2/28
- Michael P. Gerlek - Flaxen Consulting - PDAL & Friends - very likely - "ANY"
- Frank Warmerdam - Google - GDAL; MapServer; PROJ.4 - Possible
- Tom Kralidis - MapServer, pycsw, owslib - Possible
- Mike Rosen - LizardTech - PDAL, GDAL - likely
- Thomas Bonfort - Terriscope - MapServer - very likely
- Olivier Courtin - Oslandia - MapServer ; PostGIS - 2/28, any
- David Zwarg - Azavea - PostGIS Raster; GDAL/OGR - 99.73% sure, any
- Kirk McKelvey - LizardTech - PDAL/GDAL - likely
- Jim Klassen - SharedGeo - likely
- Howard Butler - Hobu, Inc. - very likely, any
- Bborie Park - CVEC, UC Davis - PostGIS Raster - likely
- Steve Lime - MapServer - very likely
Virtual participants (irc #tosprint)
If you would like to room share,
- Reserve a room at the hotel, choosing a type with more than one bed.
- Put your name in this section, indicating the amount of space in your room.
Put your names below:
- example entry: B has a triple room, needs two roommates.
- Bring your own computer
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working development environment if possible.
- Is the Boston Code Sprint just a coding event?
- Yes, a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in open source projects.
- Will it be possible to present new projects during this event?
- No, this is not a presentation-oriented event. People will get together in small groups and work on areas of mutual interest within their projects.
- Will there be presentation time to show case innovative uses of technology?
- Yes, Sponsors and sprinters actively working on projects will have their moment of glory
Dim Sum - China Pearl - Boston Down town Chinatown
Korean Barbecue Boston Chinatown
Various locations in North End for good Home Italian cooking and pastries