Jump to navigation Jump to search
Call for venue
FOSS4G-Europe conference committee invites all interested groups from Europe to Call for venue
The proposals shall be submitted by 2017-09-30 to Conference-europe mailing list.
Parameters of the propsal
- Expect around 400-500 attendees (sofar, the number was between 100+ at FOSS4G-CEE 2012, Prague, to 400 people FOSS4G-Europe, Como). We do not set any upper limit to attendees number - this lies solely at LOC.
- The growing number of participants is not the main scope of the event. We rather prefer modest costs for attendees, therefore co-organising the event with universities might be of good way, how to keep the costs lower.
- Cooperation with universities of course implies careful selection of conference date, which is usually, but not necessary, in the holiday season.
- Although the policy in Europe has changed, we still advice you to make sure, that the venue is covered with stable and relayable WIFI connectivity.
- Communication language is English
- Last FOSS4G-Europe was 3 days conference, with 4 parallel sessions, each talk was arranged for 30 minutes (including discussions)
- Please consider also, that workshops are part of the conference, you shall organize rooms, ideally with computers. The workshops can provide both 4-hours and 8-hours slots.
- You should provide also several rooms during the conference, for BOF meetings
- Usually Code Sprint events are part of the conference - it is preferred, if you could arrange rooms at least after or before the conference itself (about 1-2 days), if you could cover both time frames, it would be appreciated.
- Please, refer FOSS4G-Europe Manifesto for further details
- There also is FOSS4G Handbook you might see useful
- We believe, students are our future - please take significant discount for students into your budget proposal
Position of the Local organisation committee to OSGeo and Conference committee Europe
- The FOSS4G-Europe Conference committee will, after the selection process, "kindly ask" the best venue offer, to host FOSS4G-Europe on behalf of OSGeo-European chapter (in formation)
- There is possibility to negotiate with OSGeo.org for the seeding money for necessary spending under the condition, that the LOC will guarantee at least balanced budget during the final countings. The seeding money shall be negotiated with OSGeo Board of directors
- Program committee shall be delegated from nominees from LOC as well as OSGeo on mutual understanding manner.
(might be adjusted during the time)
|Start and end of proposal submission. Proposals shall be sent to Conference-Europe mailing list||2017-08-01 - 2017-09-30|
|Selection period. Proposals will be evaluated by FOSS4G-Europe Conference committee||2017-09-30 - 2017-10-07|
|Venue announcement (At FOSS4G-Europe)||2017-10-07|
|Call for papers and workshops||2017-12 - 2018-04|
|Papers and workshops selection period||2018-04 - 2018-05|
|Conference and accompanying events||?2018-06 - 2018-07?|
Note on Seeding money
- OSGeo Conference Committee along with OSGeo Board can provide LOC with seeding money necessary for the start
- LOC needs to guarantee, that after final books closing, the seeding money will be returned back to OSGeo
- It is fair to ask for the seeding money and we encourage LOC to do so - with proper reasoning and proposed budget. But the final decision lies solely at the Board.