Enterprise Linux GIS
This page gather links and information about running FLOSS GIS software on Enterprise Linux (shortened EL hereafter) and derivatives, that is Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), CentOS and Scientific Linux.
EL is a popular and robust platform for servers and computing-heavy workstations, and is therefore a good fit for the specific requirements of GIS.
Useful repositories for GIS software
- EPEL is a official Fedora project which repackages many Fedora packages which are not part of the standard EL distribution. It contains quite a few GIS packages and base libraries. Note that one of the rules of the packages maintained in EPEL is that they should never require to change the base EL distribution.
- PostgreSQL RPM Building Project maintains many versions of the PostgreSQL database as well as PostGIS packages
- Argeo repository maintains versions of packages which cannot be maintained in EPEL. This is were our packaging effort currently takes place. It requires EPEL to be configured as a repository.
Packages Status Summary
- Original mails suggesting to coordinate EL GIS through OSGeo and describing the rationale and the approach
- On the Live GIS CD mailing-list: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/live-demo/2010-May/001724.html
- On the Discuss mailing list: http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2010-June/007231.html