Face to Face Meeting Lausanne 2006
The board has proposed getting people together for a second face-to-face meeting at FOSS4G2006, Lausanne, Switzerland.
When and Where
September 11th, 2006 at Lausanne, Switzerland. A room is reserved on the Campus (conference site), just preceeding FOSS4G.
The meeting is in the conference room "A" (possibly room BP 1122) in building BP, findable on this Map. Send email to finance at foss4g2006.org with "F2F Parking Pass" in the subject for a PDF file for a free parking pass, or just pay at the site.
Board members and committee members of VisCom, WebCom and the Fundraising committees are encouraged to attend.
- Frank Warmerdam (Board, FunCom)
- Venkatesh Raghavan (Board)
- Jo Walsh (Geodata, WebCom, Board)
- Dave McIlhagga (Board, FunCom, VisCom)
- Mark Lucas (Board) Staying at Hotel du port 10 Sep - 16 Sep
- Chris Holmes (Board, VisCom)
- Arnulf Christl (Board, VisCom)
- Markus Neteler (Board, Geodata, Edu)
- Gary Lang (Board, FunCom)
- Tyler Mitchell (VisCom, WebCom, Edu) Staying at Hotel Agora 10-16 Sep
Morning: Board-Only Meeting - Starts Promptly at 08:30
08:30 - Continental Breakfast provided
08:30 - 08:45 - 15 min - Introduction, Agenda Review
08:45 - 09:00 - 15 min - Define Logo usage (protection vs. promotion/branding) - Logo Use
09:00 - 09:45 - 45 min - Define how Executive Director role will work.
09:45 - 10:00 - 15 min - Break
10:00 - 10:45 - 45 min - Discuss approaches investigated, and establish a timeline for infrastructure move and which services will be established. - Infrastructure
10:45 - 11:15 - 30 min - Review and discuss goal implementation for 2006: Discuss the stated priorities and how we meet them. Assign driver and define next steps:
- To promote the use of open source software in the geospatial industry (not just foundation software) - PR, training, outreach, ... Promotion and Visibility Committee
- To provide resources for foundation projects - infrastructure, funding (Fundraising), legal, ...
- To encourage the implementation of open standards and standards-based interoperability in foundation projects.
- To make foundation and related software more accessible to end users - binary ""stack"" builds, cross package documentation, etc.
- To promote freely available geodata - free software is useless without data (Public Geospatial Data Project)
- To ensure a high degree of quality in foundation projects in order to build and preserve the foundation ""brand"".
- To encourage communication and cooperation between OSGeo communities on different language (ie Java/C/Python) and operating system (Win32, Unix, MacOS) platforms.
- To support use and contribution to foundation projects from the worldwide community through internationalization of software and community outreach.
- To operate an annual OSGeo Conference, possibly in cooperation with related efforts (ie. EOGEO).
- To provide support for the use of OSGeo software in education via curriculum development, outreach, and support (Core Curriculum Project).
- To award the Sol Katz award for service to the OSGeo community.
11:15 - 11:45 - 30 min - Membership
- We should really figure out what the title and requirements of membership are. At FOSS4G2006 many people will want to know how to become a member. - Membership
11:45 - 12:30 - 45min - Review what are we doing for the projects
- In particular we want to make sure that the VisCom is as focused on promoting OSGeo projects as it is OSGeo itself, (if not more?)
- MapGuide Open Source (Gary: "Working infrastructure for MapGuide, good affinity groups")
12:30 - 13:00 - 30 min - Lunch Break. Buffet lunch provided.
Afternoon Board Meeting: Resume at 13:00 (1:00pm)
14:00 - 14:15 - Complete launch of Foundation Sponsorship
14:15 - 14:30 - Complete launch of Project Sponsorship
14:30 - 14:45 - BREAK
Afternoon: Open Session Begins 14:45 (2:45pm)
See Open F2F Meeting Lausanne 2006, the open meeting page.
14:45 - 15:45 - 60 min - State of OSGeo
- OSGeo State of the Foundation
- What we've accomplished
- Board Meetings
- 17 Board Meetings
- 3 f2f meetings
- Constant communication, discussion, collaboration
- Initial Collabnet Infrastructure
- Where 2.0
- MapAsia 2006
- Proposals and Responses to RFIs
- Response to RFI for US Gov GeoSpatial
- International and Local Chapters
- Executive Director
- Board Meetings
- Where we are headed
- What we are missing
- What we've accomplished
- OSGeo communication and outreach
15:45 - 16:15 - 30 min - Improving Communications Flow
- Board blog as aggregator?
16:15 - 19:30 - About 3 hours - Open Session
(Many things will come up between now and this meeting: this is a buffer for them)
- How to enable more people to participate in OSGeo efforts
- Plan conferences framework - where and how to launch OSGeo related conferences around the globe
- Discuss small projects hosting (like gpsd) - "OSGeo friends projects"
- Try to reach consensus on new projects to admit to incubation.
- Discuss ideas for starting cross-collaboration between projects.
19:30 - until late...
- Autodesk is hosting a post-meeting mixer/”beer bash” at Taco’s Bar in a private room reserved under "OSGeo Private Party".
- Drinks and heavy appetizers will be provided.
- Trains run every 10 minutes from UNIL-Sorge to Lausanne-Flon
- To be held at the same location as the FOSS4G Ice Breaker event:
Taco’s Bar Sarl Rue de Geneve 17 1003 Lausanne +41 (0)21 320 15 25
Click here for the meeting minutes Meeting Minutes Lausanne 2006.
See also Face To Face Action Items.
See also Proposed Membership Rules#Specifics.