Difference between revisions of "Face to Face Meeting Paris 2017"

From OSGeo
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Line 62: Line 62:
 
* Need government input?
 
* Need government input?
  
  * Nasa: Patrick was not available to attend? Would like world wind to be an included in OSGeo. Seems to not understand how we work as a volunteer organization.
+
Ideas:
  * Ask Marc Volumnens for NASA contact used at foss4g-na?
+
* Nasa: Patrick was not available to attend? Would like world wind to be an included in OSGeo. Seems to not understand how we work as a volunteer organization.
 +
* Ask Marc Volumnens for NASA contact used at foss4g-na?
 +
* NGA contact from CLA license discussion? I asked but felt it was more suitable for manager.
  
==== Motion 1: $1000 budget, to cover $900 expected costs ====
+
==== Motion 1: OSGeo Breakfast Meeting $1000 budget, to cover $900 expected costs ====
  
 
* venka: makes the motion, approved by acclamation  
 
* venka: makes the motion, approved by acclamation  
Line 94: Line 96:
 
* action: advertise hackathon in september
 
* action: advertise hackathon in september
 
  * looking into osgeo europe to better take on this role
 
  * looking into osgeo europe to better take on this role
 +
* Discussion: good discussion on requirements, etc...
 +
* Discussion: meeting this week for osgeo-europe local chapter
 +
* Q: do you need any discussion with the board? A: other examples of local chapters are fine
 +
* ESA discussion with Cordina
 +
*ESA discuss about github repo for work, etc..
 +
* URISSA sees free to use, rather than open
 +
* graph of foss4g echosystem presented in Brussels
 +
* foss4g european chapter discussion
 +
* group of local chapters, non all are legal enties etc...
  
    * good discussion on requirements, etc...
+
sangee:
    * meeting this week
 
  
* Q: do you need any discussion with the board?
+
* no record on the wiki! Check email ...
 +
* goal to bridge osgeo - such as UN "technical advisor group" of UN Open GIS
 +
* goal to offer business perspective to osgeo community
 +
* Discussion: KAOS: Korean Alliance of Open Source". new organization "company alliance for promoting open gis", president of each company, setup legal entity
 +
* goal to to offer other worlds view from asia
  
  * A: other examples of local chapters are fine
+
jody:
 
+
- wanted to focus on projects, ended up focusing on buisness and outreach
* ESA discussion with Cordina
+
- sponsors reboot with jeff mckenna. Year 2 it is working, we will have to check if it is a success in year 3.
 +
- website/rebranding - got frustrate with f2f goals being held up last year,
 +
- theme identify gaps in our oragnization and start an activity to attract volunteers
 +
- theme move work and responsibility to committee (see discussion below) rather than ask everything of board volunteers
  
  * discuss about github repo for work, etc..
+
Discussion - hard to keep track on committees
            - URISSA sees free to use, rather than open
 
            - graph of foss4g echosystem presented in Brussels
 
        - foss4g european chapter discussion
 
            - group of local chapters, non all are legal enties etc...
 
- sangee: no record on the wiki! Check email ...
 
    - bridge osgeo
 
        - such as UN "technical advisor group" of UN Open GIS
 
    - business perspective to osgeo community
 
        - KAOS: Korean Alliance of Open Source"
 
            - new organization "company alliance for promoting open gis"
 
            - president of each company, setup legal entity
 
    - other worlds view from asia
 
- jody:
 
    - wanted to focus on projects, ended up focusing on buisness and outreach
 
        - sponsors reboot
 
        - website/rebranding
 
    - identify gaps in our oragnization, move responsibility to committee
 
        - hard to keep track on committees
 
 
- venka: no record on wiki
 
- venka: no record on wiki
    - user oriented events, user focused workshops, attract users
+
- user oriented events, user focused workshops, attract users
        - attend user community events
+
- attend user community events
    - keeping track on committees
+
- keeping track on committees?
        - professional secretarty?
+
- professional secretarty?
        - partnership between board and committee chairs
+
- partnership between board and committee chairs
        - discussion:
+
- discussion:
            - f2f meeting in 2016 will get budget if comittee chair for budget
+
- f2f meeting in 2016 will get budget if comittee chair for budget
  
 
Discussion:
 
Discussion:
- director mandates ends when?
+
- Q: director mandates ends when? A: Assume october: after f2f meeting and charter member nominations
    - Assume october: after f2f meeting and charter member nominations
+
- When based on after charter members elections, assume one month from now, so during foss4g nominate people
- based on after charter members elections
 
    - assume one month from now, so during foss4g nominate people
 
 
- Should we consider holding vote at fixed time each year?
 
- Should we consider holding vote at fixed time each year?
    - elections: board members during september
+
- Elections: board members during september
  
 
Discussion:
 
Discussion:
 
- partner relationships
 
- partner relationships
    - MOU Universityies
+
- MOU Universityies
    - OGC MOU renews each year
+
- OGC MOU renews each year - need up update the contacts
        - need up update the contacts
+
- LocationTech. Guest membership currently with Michael Smith representing. Can they do a MOU? Ask Marc. Consider membership and sponsorship of each others. This is clarified in the new website; see partners google doc being worked on by board members
    - LocationTech
 
        - Guest membership currently with Michael Smith representing
 
        - Consider membership and sponsorship of each others
 
        - This is clarified in the new website; see partners google doc being worked on by board members
 
  
 
Actions:
 
Actions:
- venka/jody: 1) review relationship as written 2) chat marc this week
+
 
- maria/jody: describe un committee for new website
+
- maria/jody: describe UN committee for new website
 +
- venka/jody: 1) review relationship as written
 +
- venka/angelous/jody: 2) chat marc this week. Update: Chat succesful, open to MOU, and cross sponsorship relationship similar to how OGC+LocationTech works
  
  
Line 158: Line 153:
  
 
Finished:
 
Finished:
 +
 
- foss4g africa
 
- foss4g africa
 
- foss4g-jp
 
- foss4g-jp
Line 163: Line 159:
  
 
Coming up:
 
Coming up:
 +
 
- Boston event  
 
- Boston event  
 
- Argitena event
 
- Argitena event
Line 170: Line 167:
  
 
It is not really obvious to Jody that all these events were ocurring
 
It is not really obvious to Jody that all these events were ocurring
 +
 
- website?
 
- website?
 
- local chapter report
 
- local chapter report
Line 175: Line 173:
  
 
community events:
 
community events:
 +
 
- geo4africa  
 
- geo4africa  
 
- calgis / locationcon
 
- calgis / locationcon
  
 
project events
 
project events
 +
 
- qgis hackathon
 
- qgis hackathon
 
- gvsig events
 
- gvsig events
  
 
new website:
 
new website:
 +
 
- action maria/jody: double check if there is a map for events?
 
- action maria/jody: double check if there is a map for events?
  
 
discussion:
 
discussion:
 +
 
- foss4g asia every second year
 
- foss4g asia every second year
 
- foss4gna process starting up
 
- foss4gna process starting up
Line 195: Line 197:
 
Working group to review projects:
 
Working group to review projects:
 
- some collaboration with osgeo live
 
- some collaboration with osgeo live
- dropped many projects from osgeo live
+
- dropped many projects from osgeo live. example mapfish is no longer functioning
    - example mapfish is no longer functioning
+
- what to do with these results?
- what to do with these results
+
- expectation: working group will report with board
    - expectation: working group will report with board
 
 
- at the end of incubation we have a project team, not a codebase
 
- at the end of incubation we have a project team, not a codebase
    - code can be rewritten:
+
- code can be rewritten: deegree rewrites, mapfish -->  geomapfish
        - deegree rewrites
 
        - mapfish -->  geomapfish
 
  
 
action:
 
action:
- action helena: agm reminder
+
 
    - projects that do not make the agm can be invited to next meeting
+
- action helena: agm reminder. projects that do not make the agm can be invited to next meeting
 
- awaiting working group report
 
- awaiting working group report
 
- otb graduation:
 
- otb graduation:
    - update website, ask jeff mckenna to update website
+
- update website, ask jeff mckenna to update website
 +
 
 +
Update: topic track discussion with working group, they had no plans to report so we need to ask.
  
 
4. Website/Rebranding update and coordination
 
4. Website/Rebranding update and coordination
  
 
action:
 
action:
- venka/jeff johnson to follow up about LDAP / Website requirements contract.
+
 
 +
- venka/jeff johnson to follow up about LDAP / Website requirements contract (see email for details).
 
- venka/angilous/ - current website database and local directories
 
- venka/angilous/ - current website database and local directories
  
Line 220: Line 222:
  
 
What is pending:
 
What is pending:
 +
 
- Helena has one with Department of Interior (US Government)
 
- Helena has one with Department of Interior (US Government)
    - action: invite to breakfast!
+
- action: invite to breakfast!
 
- Anita working on with with AGILE
 
- Anita working on with with AGILE
 
- GSDI -  
 
- GSDI -  
Line 227: Line 230:
  
 
Friends how to set this up:
 
Friends how to set this up:
 +
 
- OSM - active in osgeo-live
 
- OSM - active in osgeo-live
 
- Natural Earth
 
- Natural Earth
Line 232: Line 236:
  
 
Others:
 
Others:
 +
 
- GRSS - would like to have OSGeo as a standard committee member.
 
- GRSS - would like to have OSGeo as a standard committee member.
 
- ESA - reach our at open science 2.0, set up official meeting
 
- ESA - reach our at open science 2.0, set up official meeting
Line 238: Line 243:
  
 
actions to reach contact:
 
actions to reach contact:
 +
 
- Maria: Reach out to Kate, reach out to partners, angelous reach out paul norman
 
- Maria: Reach out to Kate, reach out to partners, angelous reach out paul norman
 
- HOT: Maira to reach out
 
- HOT: Maira to reach out
Line 243: Line 249:
 
- Jody: Contact Open Source Initiative
 
- Jody: Contact Open Source Initiative
  
6. European account
+
=== 6. European account ===
 +
 
 +
Discussion on need for an account, could osgeo-eu chapter take on this responsibility. Decided to go with our own account so we would not get in the way of local chapter forming.
 +
 
 +
==== Motion 2 Setup European Account ====
  
Motion 2:
 
 
- jody: authorize Vasile and Angelos to open a euro account.
 
- jody: authorize Vasile and Angelos to open a euro account.
 
- by acclamation
 
- by acclamation
  
7. OSGeo CLA Government participation
+
=== 7. OSGeo CLA Government participation ===
  
 
GeoTools request: Approve government CLA (see email discussion). Request from US Government Department NGA.
 
GeoTools request: Approve government CLA (see email discussion). Request from US Government Department NGA.
  
 
Action:
 
Action:
 +
 
* Michael I will set this up
 
* Michael I will set this up
  
 
Discussion:
 
Discussion:
Q: Budget? A: Less than $500 USD.
 
  
8. FOSS4G Affordability
+
* Q: Budget? A: Less than $500 USD.
 +
 
 +
=== 8. FOSS4G Affordability ===
  
 
Consider discussion after foss4g Boston:
 
Consider discussion after foss4g Boston:
Line 268: Line 279:
 
- Make dinner at IBIS hotel 8pm :)
 
- Make dinner at IBIS hotel 8pm :)
 
- Consider invite others? Gerald, Till Admans
 
- Consider invite others? Gerald, Till Admans
 +
 +
Update after second meeting:
 +
 +
- Vasile is going to assemble record of past bids, email discussion details, so we can have this discussion at boston f2f with facts rather than opinion.
  
  

Revision as of 21:19, 19 July 2017

Meeting

Face-to-face meeting during FOSS4G-Europe 2017.

When and Where

  • Morning of July 18th - morning workshop slot
  • Evening of July 18th - after workshops

Attendees

Board members:

  1. Venkatesh Raghavan
  2. Sanghee Shin
  3. Maria Brovelli
  4. Vasile Craciunescu
  5. Angelos Tzotsos
  6. Jody Garnett
  7. add yourself

Agenda

  1. Director Updates
  2. OSGeo Events and FOSS4G Conferences
  3. OSGeo Project Status
  4. OSGeo Website/Rebranding Coordination
  5. Discuss and Approve pending MoUs
  6. European Bank Account
  7. OSGeo contributor license agreement for government participation
  8. FOSS4G Affordability

Goal

We also invite board members to revisit their initial goals at elected representatives to provide context for the days discussion.

The overall goal of the meeting is to coordinate two "hot topics" for the OSGeo community: event attendance costs and OSGeo project health.

We should leave this meeting with a clear way forward on these two issues; providing a list of actions to take prior to next Boston F2F meeting.

Meeting Minutes

F2F Board Meeting July FOSS4GE

  • attending: Maria, Sanghee, Vasile, Michael, Venkatesh, Jody, Angelos
  • Quorum : 7/9

Motion 1 - Venka chair, jody scribe

- motion by Vasile, accepted by acclamation (ie all in favour)

1. FOSS4G Breakfast pre-meeting

Update from Maria / Jody

  • assume 20-30 people based on response
  • look for reservation in area 20-30 a plate

Contacts:

  • OGC: Luis did not reply
  • OSM: did not reply, contact osm-us branch Alessia
  • Need government input?

Ideas:

  • Nasa: Patrick was not available to attend? Would like world wind to be an included in OSGeo. Seems to not understand how we work as a volunteer organization.
  • Ask Marc Volumnens for NASA contact used at foss4g-na?
  • NGA contact from CLA license discussion? I asked but felt it was more suitable for manager.

Motion 1: OSGeo Breakfast Meeting $1000 budget, to cover $900 expected costs

  • venka: makes the motion, approved by acclamation

Director Update

Go through your goals on wiki, and see how we are doing.

michael

  • LocationTech rep, some work to be done (did not quite meet this one.
  • treasurer, great success

maria:

  • geoforall contact, successful in this role
  • un comittee contact, successful in this role, taking a fair bit of time

Angelos:

  • any role assigned?
  • really active on geoforall, and everywhere including SAC.

Vasile

  • goal: build up relationships in european agencies
  • esa, hackathon in september
  • action: advertise hackathon in september
* looking into osgeo europe to better take on this role
  • Discussion: good discussion on requirements, etc...
  • Discussion: meeting this week for osgeo-europe local chapter
  • Q: do you need any discussion with the board? A: other examples of local chapters are fine
  • ESA discussion with Cordina
*ESA discuss about github repo for work, etc..
  • URISSA sees free to use, rather than open
  • graph of foss4g echosystem presented in Brussels
  • foss4g european chapter discussion
  • group of local chapters, non all are legal enties etc...

sangee:

  • no record on the wiki! Check email ...
  • goal to bridge osgeo - such as UN "technical advisor group" of UN Open GIS
  • goal to offer business perspective to osgeo community
  • Discussion: KAOS: Korean Alliance of Open Source". new organization "company alliance for promoting open gis", president of each company, setup legal entity
  • goal to to offer other worlds view from asia

jody: - wanted to focus on projects, ended up focusing on buisness and outreach - sponsors reboot with jeff mckenna. Year 2 it is working, we will have to check if it is a success in year 3. - website/rebranding - got frustrate with f2f goals being held up last year, - theme identify gaps in our oragnization and start an activity to attract volunteers - theme move work and responsibility to committee (see discussion below) rather than ask everything of board volunteers

Discussion - hard to keep track on committees - venka: no record on wiki - user oriented events, user focused workshops, attract users - attend user community events - keeping track on committees? - professional secretarty? - partnership between board and committee chairs - discussion: - f2f meeting in 2016 will get budget if comittee chair for budget

Discussion: - Q: director mandates ends when? A: Assume october: after f2f meeting and charter member nominations - When based on after charter members elections, assume one month from now, so during foss4g nominate people - Should we consider holding vote at fixed time each year? - Elections: board members during september

Discussion: - partner relationships - MOU Universityies - OGC MOU renews each year - need up update the contacts - LocationTech. Guest membership currently with Michael Smith representing. Can they do a MOU? Ask Marc. Consider membership and sponsorship of each others. This is clarified in the new website; see partners google doc being worked on by board members

Actions:

- maria/jody: describe UN committee for new website - venka/jody: 1) review relationship as written - venka/angelous/jody: 2) chat marc this week. Update: Chat succesful, open to MOU, and cross sponsorship relationship similar to how OGC+LocationTech works


2. OSGeo Events

Finished:

- foss4g africa - foss4g-jp - italy event in feb, presentation from venka

Coming up:

- Boston event - Argitena event - FOSS4G-ko Korea event - events in japan - events in romania

It is not really obvious to Jody that all these events were ocurring

- website? - local chapter report - wiki page for foss4g events exists now

community events:

- geo4africa - calgis / locationcon

project events

- qgis hackathon - gvsig events

new website:

- action maria/jody: double check if there is a map for events?

discussion:

- foss4g asia every second year - foss4gna process starting up

3. OSGeo project status

Discussion about relationship between osgeo board and projects.

Working group to review projects: - some collaboration with osgeo live - dropped many projects from osgeo live. example mapfish is no longer functioning - what to do with these results?

- expectation: working group will report with board

- at the end of incubation we have a project team, not a codebase - code can be rewritten: deegree rewrites, mapfish --> geomapfish

action:

- action helena: agm reminder. projects that do not make the agm can be invited to next meeting - awaiting working group report - otb graduation: - update website, ask jeff mckenna to update website

Update: topic track discussion with working group, they had no plans to report so we need to ask.

4. Website/Rebranding update and coordination

action:

- venka/jeff johnson to follow up about LDAP / Website requirements contract (see email for details). - venka/angilous/ - current website database and local directories

5. Discuss / approve pending MOU, partner, friends

What is pending:

- Helena has one with Department of Interior (US Government) - action: invite to breakfast! - Anita working on with with AGILE - GSDI - - AGU -

Friends how to set this up:

- OSM - active in osgeo-live - Natural Earth - Others ..

Others:

- GRSS - would like to have OSGeo as a standard committee member. - ESA - reach our at open science 2.0, set up official meeting - Apache Foundation? - FSF Foundation?

actions to reach contact:

- Maria: Reach out to Kate, reach out to partners, angelous reach out paul norman - HOT: Maira to reach out - Angelos: Ask Brian to reach out to Natural Earths - Jody: Contact Open Source Initiative

6. European account

Discussion on need for an account, could osgeo-eu chapter take on this responsibility. Decided to go with our own account so we would not get in the way of local chapter forming.

Motion 2 Setup European Account

- jody: authorize Vasile and Angelos to open a euro account. - by acclamation

7. OSGeo CLA Government participation

GeoTools request: Approve government CLA (see email discussion). Request from US Government Department NGA.

Action:

  • Michael I will set this up

Discussion:

  • Q: Budget? A: Less than $500 USD.

8. FOSS4G Affordability

Consider discussion after foss4g Boston: - be careful about communicating to avoid conflicts

We can meet this week: - Could make a BOF tomorrow? - Make dinner at IBIS hotel 8pm :) - Consider invite others? Gerald, Till Admans

Update after second meeting:

- Vasile is going to assemble record of past bids, email discussion details, so we can have this discussion at boston f2f with facts rather than opinion.