Geodata Committee Meeting 20060322
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Public Geospatial Data Committee Meeting 2006-Mar-22
Chair: Jo Walsh Minutes: Schuyler Erle IRC: #osgeo channel on irc.freenode.org Date: 2006-Mar-22 (at least in the Americas and Europe) Time: Wednesday March 22, 15:00 UTC
- Who are in the Committee?
- Discuss focus of group - accessing data versus enabling tools for creating data or something in between?
- How to take stock of what is available? Are we aiming to have a repository of data or pointers to external data?
- Outreach - if people are working on repository efforts already, how can we connect with them?
- Geodata licensing is a pressing issue. The Public Geodata license has invoked calls for an LPGL model without a ShareAlike constraint. Can we start a working group on this?
- Schedule next committee meeting
- Attendance: Jo Walsh, Frank Warmerdam, David Bitner, Jeff McKenna, Alan Doyle, Schuyler Erle, Markus Neteler, Perry Nacionales, Florian Kindl, Daniel Brookshier
- Accessing data? enabling tools for creating data? or something in between? -- consensus is we want both a portal for accessing existing geodata *and* tools for creating new data.
- Portal for accessing existing data
- Sources of data
- Packaged data sets (e.g. TIGER/Line, VMap0, ...)
- Web services (OGC-compliant services, OPeNDAP)
- Allan: "there have been lots of attempts... at first, all you need is pointers to the data & services... but to gain critical mass, you have to fill the catalog with good stuff..."
- Jo proposes an Action Item to compile a list of existing portals
- Sources of data
- Tools for creating and editing data
- Agreed to be within the group's focus
- Deferring making plans to act on this for now
Taking Stock of Existing Data
- Catalog existing data? and/or host a repository? no consensus yet.
- Process data into more usable formats?
- TIGER/Line, VMap0, GSHHS
- Packaging data also means fixing metadata
- Provide a forum/marketplace for data wanted / data offered?
- Daniel Brookshier notes that OSGeo.org can host some data
- Proposed we break this into two work groups
- Catalog / Discovery Portal (+ Outreach)
- Packaging / Quality Control / Metadata Augmentation / Documentation (focus on education, e.g. GRASS Spearfish)
- Geodata Committee's efforts should coordinate closely with Education Committee
- External outreach can proceed informally for now (as the committee gets bootstrapped)
- Lots of discussion around OpenStreetMap and the ShareAlike provision of its Creative Commons license, and around creating an LGPL-like license specifically for geodata
- The core issue is what constitutes a "derived work" from geodata
- OSGeo can help add clarity to the discussion
- Public Geodata License... can we envision/propose an LPGL?
- http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/geo-discuss/2006-March/000132.html contains an overview of existing discussion
- Proposed we start a working group to research and enumerate geodata licensing possibilities
- Goal state is to list a set of licenses that OSGeo software packages can offer as configuration defaults for people publishing their own data
New Working Groups
- Data Discovery / Access
- Packaging / Reuse / QA / Maintenance
- Data Licensing