Geodata Discovery Working Group
While OSGeo can consider hosting sets of public geodata, (and for the purposes of offering maintained packages of high-quality data for education and demonstration, it probably will), we can compile a set of best practises and references to good prior art for building and maintaining collections of data and metadata.
- Metadata for collections of geographic information.
- Providing best practise and prototypes for geodata search facilities
- Help with providing input into the OSGeo repository/services at http://osgeo.telascience.org/
- Providing 'catalog'/discovery/search services as part of OSGeo activities in promoting access to public domain and open licensed bodies of data.
- Mapdex is "a global Index of 2,018 servers, serving 37,168 map services, containing over 400,000 GIS Layers, covering more than 4,000,000 columns!"
- GeoTorrent hosts BitTorrents of shapefile/TIFF format data.
- GeoNetwork "Find Interactive Maps, GIS datasets, Satellite Imagery and Related Applications"
- DLESE Collection System offers a metadata repository and editor
Public Datasets for Possible Mirroring or Distribution
- Vector data
- Raster data
- Blue Marble / Blue Marble NG