Google Summer of Code Application 2016
ongoing, with the text below
- Website URL: http://osgeo.org
- Tagline: The Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- Logo: compass+text, square, 256px
- Primary Open Source License: GNU General Public License (GPL)
- Organization Category: TODO
- Topic Tags: gis cartography maps science geospatial (were: gis, live-disc, algorithm, graph, mapping, maps, geospatial, geo, 3d, osm, openstreetmap, cartography, science)
- Ideas List: TODO
- Short Description:
- Long Description: TODO (update past app text)
- Application Instructions: TODO make a wiki page and paste the text in the application
- Proposal Tags: TODO list of software projects
- IRC Channel, Mailing List, or Email done
Organization description (to be reused)
OSGeo is a non-profit organization serving as an umbrella organization for the Open Source Geospatial community in general and 33 code projects in particular:
Web Mapping: deegree, geomajas, GeoMoose, GeoServer, Mapbender, MapBuilder, MapFish, MapGuide Open Source, MapServer, OpenLayers, ZOO-Project, Team Engine
Desktop Applications: GRASS GIS, Quantum GIS, gvSIG, Opticks, KDE Marble
Geospatial Libraries: FDO, GDAL/OGR, GEOS, GeoTools, MetaCRS*, OSSIM, PostGIS, rasdaman
The following are sub-projects of MetaCRS: PROJ.4, GeoTIFF/libgeotiff, CS-Map, Proj4J, Proj4js, SpatialReference.org Metadata Catalogs: GeoNetwork, pycsw
Other (non-code) Projects: Public Geospatial Data, Education and Curriculum, Live Handout DVD
We host the annual FOSS4G conferences (this year two of them) with typical attendance of 500-1000+ geospatial developers, industry and government types, and researchers. Our mailing lists collectively go out to ~ 20,000 unique subscribers.
For GSoC we hope to act as an umbrella org for a number of other non-OSGeo FOSS geo projects, including pgRouting, PyWPS, istSOS, and uDig.
- Why does your org want to participate in Google Summer of Code?
- How many potential mentors have agreed to mentor this year? 16-20 (there is the option of 20+ but I don't dare choosing it as now)
- How will you keep mentors engaged with their students?
- How will you help your students stay on schedule to complete their projects?
- How will you get your students involved in your community during GSoC?
- How will you keep students involved with your community after GSoC?
- Has your org been accepted as a mentoring org in Google Summer of Code before? yes
- Which years did your org participate in GSoC?: from 2007 onwards
- What is your success/fail rate per year?
2007: 13/19 2008: 15/19 2009: 17/20 2010: 7/10 2011: 19/21 2012: 20/22 2013: 21/22 2014: 22/23 2015: 13/13
- Are you part of a foundation/umbrella organization? no - we are one
- What year was your project started? 2006
[Back to Google Summer of Code 2016 @ OSGeo]