Infrastructure Working Group
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This is a proposal for a Working Group to assess OSGeo's software infrastructure needs and provisions.
- Assess the OSGeo community's needs for code management and collaboration tools, particularly collecting requirements and feedback from the Incubation Committee and Website Committee
- Plan for the software and data repository facilities to be hosted at telascience
- Plan for the administration of telascience facilities
- Offer recommendations on future development directions to the Board
- Frank Warmerdam
- Jo Walsh
- Schuyler Erle
- Norman Vine
- Howard Butler
- Please add yourself
Meetings and discussions
- When there's enough to chat about, suggest a chat session time (perhaps one that works well with the existing Website Committee timings?
- If necessary, start a mailing list
- Project Infrastructure Migration is a very comprehensive overview of what tools the individual software projects are using now, both to manage their codebase and their communications.
- WebCom OSGeo Site Focus is a collection of site visitor use cases; when people come to the public front, what do they expect and need to find from OSGeo?
- Geodata Repository is an overview of what metadata / archiving / redistribution facilities people have discussed wanting to offer through OSGeo
Non-software/operations Committee use case
The Geodata committee is the first attempt at moving forward on a non-software project Committee that isn't concerned with OSGeo internal operations, so we are figuring out a lot as we go along.
- Wiki works well for sketching out rough requirements and for planning stages
- Wiki doesn't work well as a shared editing environment for pages which are destined to go onto the "Official" site - e.g. Geodata Homepage Draft
- We need some way to get multiple authors working on pages for the "official" site, without having to check them back into a live repository on subversion, or branch the pages and then re-merge them...
Auto Build / Smoke Test
Some of the software projects need a place for doing automated builds and smoke tests.
FrankW suggests this should be a service hosted on telascience OSGeo system(s)