Live GIS Disc FAQ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
For the public good and for your own future reference please record any FAQs here, even if you can only supply the Q
- Q: How can I find the answer to a question which isn't here?
- A: Use the search tool in the mailing list archives, or put it here and wait for someone else to fill in the A:.
See also Live GIS Disc/Errata/8.0
- Q: What's the live user's name and password?
- A: user/user. See the passwords.txt file on the desktop for application specific database user/passwords.
- Q: What's the root password?
- A: There isn't one. To run commands as root type `sudo <command>` in a terminal. To become root type `sudo - su`. Enter the user's password when prompted.
- Q: How do I get my dual monitors to span instead of mirror with xUbuntu?
- A: Go to the Applications → Settings menu and use the `arandr` program to drag them apart, then click the tick/check button to apply (once you start the program it's pretty obvious, the program name on the other hand is not so obvious :) For the OSGeo 5.5 Live DVD and earlier you'll have to install it yourself via Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center.
- Q: How do I ssh into the Live Disc?
- A: You must first install the openssh-server package:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Because of a bug in Ubuntu 12.04 you may also need to run:
sudo initctl reload-configuration sudo service ssh restart
- Important: If enabling remote login access you really should change the user account's default password with the passwd command.
Building the disc
- Q: How do I roll my own version of the disc?
- A: See the Live GIS Build wiki page
- Q: This app is great! How do I install it on my Ubuntu system without installing everything else?
- A: All the install scripts can be found in the ~/gisvm/bin/ directory on the disc.