Live GIS Disc FAQ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
For the public good and for your own future reference please record any FAQs here, even if you can only supply the Q
- Q: How can I find the answer to a question which isn't here?
- A: Use the search tool in the mailing list archives, or put it here and wait for someone else to fill in the A:.
See also Live GIS Disc/Errata/8.0
- Q: What's the live user's name and password?
- A: user/user. See the passwords.txt file on the desktop for application specific database user/passwords.
- Q: How do I get my Wifi working?
- A: Due to licensing issues a number of proprietary firmwares can not be included on the disc, you must download them yourself. We don't have the right to redistrubute them.
- You will probably need a wired network connection to download the drivers.
Start button → Preferences → Aditional Drivers
It will search for available drivers ... this will take a little while.
Select the driver if you wish, and hit "Apply Changes". If you do not have a working network connection this will likely fail without telling you why.
- Q: How do I set the drive volume name on the live USB drive?
- A: From a Linux computer, plug it in and mount it, then:
# limited to 11 single byte characters IMAGE_NAME=OSGeoLive80 # find devivce and mount name # for me it is /dev/sdd1 and /media/0FB5-AA29 df -h # unmount it umount /media/0FB5-AA29 # check the label mlabel -i /dev/sdd1 -s :: # set the label mlabel -i /dev/sdd1 ::"$IMAGE_NAME"
- Q: What's the root password?
- A: There isn't one. To run commands as root type `sudo <command>` in a terminal. To become root type `sudo - su`. Enter the user's password when prompted.
- Q: How do I get my dual monitors to span instead of mirror with xUbuntu?
- A: Go to the Applications → Settings menu and use the `arandr` program to drag them apart, then click the tick/check button to apply (once you start the program it's pretty obvious, the program name on the other hand is not so obvious :) For the OSGeo 5.5 Live DVD and earlier you'll have to install it yourself via Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center.
- Q: How do I ssh into the Live Disc?
- A: You must first install the openssh-server package:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Because of a bug in Ubuntu 12.04 you may also need to run:
sudo initctl reload-configuration sudo service ssh restart
- Important: If enabling remote login access you really should change the user account's default password with the passwd command.
Building the disc
- Q: How do I roll my own version of the disc?
- A: See the Live GIS Build wiki page
- Q: This app is great! How do I install it on my Ubuntu system without installing everything else?
- A: All the install scripts can be found in the ~/gisvm/bin/ directory on the disc.