Philippines Chapter Report 2012
Jump to navigation Jump to search
OSGeo Philippines Activity Report 2012
- Period covered by report: September 2011 - Dec 2012
- Contact name: Maning Sambale (emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com)
- OSGeo-PH Local Chapter is currently under in-formation stage. The first meeting was initiated last quarter of 2011 and the current mailinglist membership is 14 subscribers.
- PhilGEOS 2012 and FOSS4G Workshops - OSGEO Philippines, the University of Philippines Department of Geodetic Engineering (UPD-GE), OpenStreetMap Philippines (OSM-PH) and the Environmental Science for Social Change (ESSC) organized a series of pre-symposium workshops showcasing free and open source technologies at the PhilGEOS 2012 last November 23-24, 2012 at the University of the Philippines, Diliman. Over 60 participants joined 8 workshops and 3 lightning talks. The OSGeo Live project was also presented in one of the parallel technical sessions in the main conference. Likewise, an exhibit booth was installed during the PhilGEOS conference for OSGeo and OpenStreetMap. Over ~50 OSGeo Live DVDs were handed out to conference participants. Event details
- Small meetups with various groups and FOSS4G enthusiasts during the last quarter of 2011 (2011-09-23, 2011-10-01, 2011-12-03).
Education and Research
- Two institutions are in the process of establishing Open Geospatial Labs in the the country under the ICA-OSGeo MoU Partnership. These are the National College of Public Administration and Governance (NCPAG), University of the Philippines and Environmental Science for Social Change (ESSC).
- A exhibition pack starter kit was purchased through the Marketing Committee's Exhibition Pack funding support. The kit is used for conference booths and related activities of the chapter