Discussion and Debate
Here are a few items that have come up for consideration or debate and that can use some further discussion:
- Organisation Direction - developing a vision for 2008/2009, including expanded programmes, budgets, performance metrics, etc.
- Conference Committee
- developing policy for 3rd Party delivered, OSGeo-branded events (e.g. "Teach-in")
- making more decisions about, and supporting, the system to be used by FOSS4G events
- Committee has been pretty quiet, does it need a boost or more volunteers?
- develop promotional material for use at events. Pre-printing and maybe some professional polish needed. Next steps being discussed on marketing list.
- new logo is almost ready and to be slowly rolled out. Some recommendations against this change, though some strong support for it too.
- FOSS4G 2008
- Various event planning to be started soon: OSGeo booth, AGM, Board meeting, ED face-to-face, OSGeo presentations and more
- could use an associate editor to help run the system/process
Here are the events that I spoke at or represented OSGeo at since it started:
FOSS4G 2008 - Cape Town, Sep. 29 - unable to attend
Open Source World Conf - Málaga, Oct. 22 - unable to attend
Mobile Augmented Reality and Geospatial - Quebec City, Canada, August 28-29, 2008 - unable to attend
OSBootcamp / Geocamp - Ottawa, Canada, June 2-3, 2008 - unable to atend
GeoTec Event - Ottawa, Canada, June 2-3, 2008 - unable to atend
- University of Edinburgh lecture - Edinburgh, May 4, 2008
- 1Spatial Conference and OSGeo UK Meetup May 2008 - London/Stansted, April 29-May 1, 2008
- II Jornadas de SIG Libre, Girona, Spain, March 3-5, 2008 (invited keynote, video recorded)
- Including pre/post-event meetings with Local Chapter, gvSIG team, FreeGIS book team and others in Madrid and Valencia
- Kansai Open Forum, Osaka, Japan, 9 November, 2007
- Including follow-up repeat of presentations in Tokyo, Japan, 12 November, 2007
- III Encontro Nacional de Usuários MapServer (site offline), May 9-11, Brasilia, Brazil, 2007 (invited keynote)
- Various pre/post-event meetings as well
- FOSS4G 2007, Victoria, Canada, 24-27 September, 2007 (keynote, organiser, BOF, AGM)
- Location Intelligence, San Francisco, USA, 17-18 April, 2007 (booth, presentation in OSGeo session)
- Autodesk University conference, Las Vegas, USA, 27-30 November, 2006 (booth, BOF)
- FOSS4G 2006, Lausanne, Switzerland (booth, BOFs)
- Where 2.0 2006, San Francisco, USA (booth, BOFs)
For other events that had or will have some OSGeo representation (presenters, attendees, workshops, etc.) events see this wiki page, this wiki category and the upcoming events list here on OSGeo.org