Vienna Code Sprint 2014
Get together project members to make decisions and tackle larger geospatial problems (as done last year at the Boston Code Sprint 2013 and previous years: Island Wood (2012), Montreal (2011), New York City (2010), and Toronto (2009)). This code sprint is targeting members of the "C Tribe" (e.g., MapServer, GRASS, GDAL, Proj, PostGIS, MapGuide, OpenLayers). Other tribes are welcome to join the sprint, of course, but we hope that "C Tribe" members will give this event special consideration.
The City of Vienna MA 14 gladly provides the location for the Vienna Code Sprint for up to 30 sprinters in their very new office called STAR 22.
The venue is not far from the center of Vienna (~25min via train and subway) and can be reached easily from the Vienna airport via train.
Dates and Times
March 24-28 2014
Note: March 19-21 FOSSGIS Berlin
Duration: Full week (TBD)
A hotel block is planned to be negotiated. Details will be provided here.
Participants should plan for the following costs:
- Travel to Vienna
- Accommodation for four nights
- Breakfast and dinner (partly)
- Please join the mailing list: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/tosprint
- IRC chat during the event: #tosprint Server: irc.freenode.net
We are planning for attendance of 20-30. Please add your name and the projects you are hoping to sprint and note the likeliness of your attendance as well as any special needs.
- Stephan Meissl - MapServer - Definite - No special needs
- Andreas Hocevar - OpenLayers - Definite -
- Paul Ramsey - PostGIS - Very Likely
- Michael Smith - PDAL/MapServer - Very Likely
- Jeff McKenna - MapServer - Very Likely
- Daniel Morissette - MapServer, GDAL/OGR - Very Likely
- Howard Butler - MapServer, GDAL/OGR, PDAL - Very Likely
- Olivier Courtin - PostGIS, TinyOWS - Very Likely
- Luca Delucchi - GRASS GIS - Very Likely
- Martin Landa - GRASS GIS, PostGIS, GDAL/OGR - Very Likely
- Thomas Bonfort - MapServer - Very Likely
- Bring your own computer
- Install subversion and the compiler tools, and come with a working development environment if possible
- Is the Vienna Code Sprint just a coding event?
- Yes, a coding and documentation event. It is a working session for people who are already participants in open source projects.
- Will it be possible to present new projects during this event?
- No, this is not a presentation-oriented event. People will get together in small groups and work on areas of mutual interest within their projects.
We have three sponsorship levels:
- Gold: €1500+, Silver: €1000, Bronze: €500
We encourage sponsors (€500+) to support nutriment and entertainment for the sprinters as they work hard and play hard for five productive days. Contributions will be put towards lunch, snacks, and dinner costs for the sprinters, and potentially bringing in sprinters who might otherwise be unable to attend. Any surplus at the end of the event will be turned over to OSGeo or used for a future code sprint.
Sponsors will receive the following honors:
- Your logo or portrait at the top of this page
- 30-min slot to talk about how you are using FOSS GIS at the sprint
- Get to stare at us during the sprint and voice your input in person
- Our undying gratitude, which comes in handy when you least expect it (Remember that feature you wanted...)
To sponsor, please contact Stephan Meissl (stephan.meissl at eox dot at) directly.
- metaspatial (unconfirmed)
City of Vienna MA 14