Board Meeting 2017-12-07

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

This board meeting is scheduled for 7 December 2017 (first Thursday of each month) at [1] through IRC and follow up voting on Loomio.

Agenda

Current items

  • roll call
  • appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
  • Approve previous meeting minutes
  • Review action items from previous meeting
  • Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer)
  • urgent item: signature for web hosting contract
  • Draft 2018 budget update (funds for website management need to be added, make it a funded position?)
  • Review/revise sponsors program for 2018
  • Project reviews
  • Discuss alternative to Dropbox
  • Relationship with AGU & possible MoU (thread)
  • Note: Request to leverage GSoC 500 USD grant for 1 student's travel to FOSDEM devroom 2018 (thread) has been approved via Loomio.
  • Usage of OSGeo logo and name - see style guide
  • Discuss possibility of a Charter Members meeting, as part of the OSGeo Code Sprint in March (thread)
  • Report on the on-going Google Code-In (jmckenna)
  • OSGeo Code Sprint 2018 - where shall we transfer the sponsors money to? Which account? Account in Europe will be opened in March -> too late

Minutes

Appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary

  • Attending: Jody, Angelos, Michael, Jeff, Astrid, Maria A, Vasile, Helena
  • Presiding: Jody
  • Scribing: Angelos

Approve previous meeting minutes

  • MOT1: Approve board meeting minutes 2017-11-21 (see motions section)

Review action items from previous meeting

Action 1: Jeff McKenna to send project review document to board.

  • Angelos to send e-mail to mailing list to start the process

Action 2: Angelos: Face to face meeting planning move discussion to the mailing list.

  • No progress reported by Angelos
  • Discussion had taken place in previous meeting
  • Options available: (Video F2F meetings, F2F in GeoCat offices, Bonn Code Sprint to reduce travel costs)
  • Maria A to make Doodle polls for date selection.

Action 3: Angelos to ask more projects to report to the next Board meeting

  • No new projects were asked to participate, in order to address urgent board items.

Action 4: Even to add new OSGeo logo to gdal.org (Done)

Action 5: Torsten to compile a project report for Marble and send to the board - no progress

Action 6: Torsten to add new OSGeo logo to Marble page - no progress

Action 7: Jeff, Maria B and Vasile to call for volunteers for the Geodata Committee (Done)

  • Codrina, MariaB, Vasile, Jeff received many enthusiastic volunteers to help get the OSGeo Geodata committee moving again. We are now planning our next steps together.
  • This renewed call would be a great plan for other committees, such as the OSGeo finance committee, a really great way to get community volunteers.
  • We should wait those new volunteers discuss what they want to do and perhaps get a new mandate.

Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer)

  • Strategy of maintaining vice-presidents has been good for sharing the workload and travel.
  • Plan is to hold a half day F2F meeting to make this decision
  • We urgently need a president to sign documents, such as web hosting contract: Venka is still in position to sign contracts, so is Helena as a Vice-President
  • Jody was asked if he would like to serve as Secretary, no decision yet. Jachym has expressed willing to retire from position.
  • Michael is willing to remain as Treasurer
  • Discussion about vice-president role:
    • Has to be board member
    • Come from different areas (academic, government, companies or developer, user, sysadmin)
  • Discussion about President role
    • Discussion about separating President from Board Chair role
    • Having president be on the board gives them a chance to be involved in the decision making that they speak on publicly.
    • President nominations should happen today (Jeff). Maybe better to do nominations on the mailing list so we can describe extensively why and comment (Maria A). I am in favor of having the executive position nominations when all the board members are together (Vasile)
    • Discussion about how to share the load of work with vice-presidents
    • Jeff has proposed years ago that the VP position be the one who was to take the president role in 2/3 years
    • Maria A: another wild idea: have the chapters vote per continent a representative
    • Helena mentioned the model of past president, president and president elect. This would mean 6 years of service to ensure continuity - 2 as president elect, 2 as president, 2 as past president. Vasile and Angelos noted that this is different from our current way of working.
    • Jody: we should consider a break out session on the bylaws - hard to make a decision on the positions without this
    • We need a specific F2F meeting to make this kind of discussion and potential changes.

Signature for web hosting contract

  • Helena can sign as vice-president

Actions

  • Angelos to send e-mail to mailing list to start the process for the project review document (Done right after the meeting)
  • Face to face meeting planning move discussion to the mailing list (Done by Maria A right after the meeting)
  • Angelos to ask more projects to report to the next Board meeting
  • Torsten to compile a project report for Marble and send to the board
  • Torsten to add new OSGeo logo to Marble page
  • Jeff to update the Geodata committee wiki page with a call for volunteers
  • Helena to sign the contract for web hosting.

Motions

MOT1: Approve board meeting minutes 2017-11-21.

MOT2: Motion to adjourn, next meeting TBD video call

  • Motion by Jody
  • Seconded by Angelos
  • Approve: Astrid, Vasile, Jeff, Angelos, Michael, Maria A, Jody
  • Abstain:
  • Block:
  • Outcome: Passed

IRC Log