British Columbia Chapter Meeting 2010-07-27
This page provides information on a regular scheduled meeting of the OSGeo BC Local Chapter
Open to all interested geonerds at no cost.
Location: Sierra Systems Vancouver 1177 West Hastings Street, Suite 2500 Room Blackcomb Chair: Martin Kyle Date: Tuesday 27 July 2010 Time: 1800 hrs - 2000 hrs PT
Topic: OSGeo BC Chapter Meeting Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 Time: 6:00 pm, Pacific Daylight Time (GMT -07:00, San Francisco )
If you want to dial in, please let us know in advance.
For further information you can contact Martin Kyle or Jason Birch.
Hawaiian, plain cheese, meat lovers, vegetarian, add more...
Welcome and Introduction
Confirmed: Martin K.
- Open Source Geospatial Foundation Update - Speaker TBD
- OpenStreetMap Update - Speaker (Sam Vekemans - Across Canada Trails OSM Contributor)
- Natural Resources Canada - GeoGratis - CanVec dataset integration to OSM update
- Multiple External Data sets for OSM integration
- License Change Announcement (OdbL)
- OSM Canada Community 'Structure'
- iVAULT - Web Mapping Portal Infrastructure Development based on Open Source MapGuide - Eric Schwartz & Dmitry Mishchenko, Pacific Alliance Technologies (http://ivault.pat.ca/)
- Eric is a Principal Technical Consultant with PAT dealing with Strategic Accounts and Dmitry is the lead developer at PAT
- iVAULT Web Mapping Portal Infrastructure:
- System Architecture & Development Insights
- Challenges of Open Source
- Contributions to the Open Source Community
- Currently in Development ...
- Open Source Business Requirements - Christy Lightowlers, Population Data BC (http://www.popdata.bc.ca/)
- Population Data BC, a multi-university platform, is BC’s first pan-provincial population health data service. It is a nationally active and recognised data and education resource that facilitates interdisciplinary research and teaching on the determinants of human health, well-being and development
- Christy is the lead of PopData's Spatial Data Unit, whose mission is to increase the capacity of Population Researchers in British Columbia (BC) by facilitating access to spatial data and services tailored to the needs of the research community.
- PopData BC is currently researching FOSS and proprietary software and Christy will be discussing the requirements for a spatial infrastructure in the population health business domain
Call for changes
Post Meeting Activity
Please let the chair know if you can attend (i.e. for the pizza count)...or add your name to the list.
Here are some pictures from the meeting.
Anonymous Person #1 (who likes Pizza)
Jason Birch (City of Nanaimo, Nanaimo - http://www.jasonbirch.com/nodes/)
Martin Kyle (Sierra Systems, Vancouver)
Michael Weisman (Safe Software, Vancouver)
John Bryant (Mammoth Mapping, Dawson City)
Steven Citron-Pousty (deCarta Inc., San Jose, CA, USA - http://developer.decarta.com)
Ducky Sherwood (coming independent of my employer, I did http://maps.webfoot.com)
Alison Fischer (Abask Geospatial Solutions, Vancouver)
Meng Li (City of Vancouver)
Adam Dunn (OpenStreetMap contributor) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Dunnadam
Alan McConchie (Geography PhD student, UBC)
Peter MacKenzie (GIS Officer, Previously with AFAP.org, now job seeking in BC)
Michael Barabanov (OpenStreetMap contributor) http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Mbiker
Patrick Kaiser (Abask Geospatial Solutions)
Selina Agbayani (Abask Geospatial Solutions)
Arnulf Christl (OSGeo, Metaspatial)
Next Meeting Ideas
Suggestion to have a regular monthly meet up somewhere.