FOSS4G 2011 Bid Process
- FOSS4G 2011 will most likely be held in North America.
- 2012 will be in Asia/Pacific and 2013 will be in Europe.
- South America will also be considered as a region if sufficient interest
- "Letters of Intent" will be accepted from potential Local Organizing Committees (LOC) in North America. If there are no submissions from groups in North America, letters from other regions will then be solicited.
- If more than one letter of intent is received, the Conference Committee members will vote by each selecting a single letter as their choice. A letter must receive the backing of at least two members to move on to the bid stage.
- Selected letters will be invited to prepare a full bid based on the usual RFP process.
- A proposal outlining budget, potential sponsors, LOC members, and venue costs will be required even if only one letter is received.
Letters of Intent
- Accepted until April 23, 2010 (23:00 UTC)
- Limited to two pages
- Answer the following questions:
- Who is your conference chair?
- Who else is on your LOC?
- What is your venue?
- What makes FOSS4G in your proposed location compelling?
Cameron Shorter, Chair of FOSS4G suggests also addressing the following questions:
- Historically, half to three quarters of delegates come from the hosting country / region. Hence it is very valuable to have links with the regional geospatial industries.
- How do you propose to engage the regional communities in order to attract delegates and sponsors.
- The more recent conferences have all worked with a professional conference organisor. If you plan to make use of one, please mention them.
The following historical FOSS4G metrics will likely be useful:
Letter of Intent Review
- Questions will be asked of submitters on conference_dev until April 23.
- Conference committee will vote and results announced on April 30.
- If necessary.
- Bids will be required for selected applicants, due by May 21, 2010 (23:00 UTC).
- Questions will be asked of bidders on conference_dev until May 28.
- A conference committee teleconference will be held on June 2.
- Conference committee will vote and results announced on June 11.
Summary of Important Dates
Release RFP: 2010-03-12 Letters of Intent (Stage 1) due: 2010-04-23 (23:00 UTC) Stage 1 question period: 2010-04-23 to 2010-04-30 Stage 1 decision: 2010-04-30 Proposals (Stage 2) due: 2010-05-21 (23:00 UTC) Stage 2 question period: 2010-05-21 to 2010-05-28 Final decision: 2010-06-11