GDAL Incubation Progress
- Has the project been approved for incubation by the OSGeo board?
- Yes, GDAL is a board approved "founding project".
- Has an OSGeo committee member been assigned as Mentor?
- Yes, Paul Spencer is assigned as mentor.
- Has the projectname.osgeo.org domain been populated with the projects we presence?
- www.gdal.org and gdal.osgeo.org domains both work and are hosted on a telascience blade (also download.osgeo.org). www.gdal.org is still the primary url for the project.
- Is the OSGeo bug tracker being used for the project?
- Yes. GDAL is using http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal.
- Is the OSGeo mailing list manager being used for the project?
- The gdal-dev list remains hosted at maptools.org to avoid disruption. The new gdal-announce and gdal-commits lists are hosted on http://lists.osgeo.org
- Is the OSGeo SVN or CVS system being used for the project?
- Yes, OSGeo subversion is being used.
- Are binary and source downloads available from the OSGeo download area?
- Source, documentation and test suite files are available in the OSGeo download area (http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/). Only limited binaries are available there. Currently the GDAL project only supplies binaries for win32. Other efforts, like FWTools and FGS provide binaries for other platforms.
- Is there a functioning user support mechanisms (ie. mailing list)?
- Yes, the gdal-dev list is currently the primary mechanism for user support. Most questions are answered reasonably promptly. Traffic averages 10 messages per day.
- Are source and binary downloads for the package available?
- Yes. Source is available from the project page. Binaries are provided as part of FWTools. Currently there are no "release binaries" offered as part of the project.
- Has a Project Steering Committee been formed, and given control of the project?
- Yes, the project steering committee has been selected, and RFC1 governing it's operation has been adopted. The members are Frank Warmerdam (chair), Andrey Kiselev, Daniel Morissette, Howard Butler and Tamas Szekeres.
- Does the Project Steering Committee have documentation on project procedures for PSC decisions, contributor guidelines, etc.
- RFC1 defines the role of the PSC. Contributor guidelines are adopted and documented in RFC3. All current commiters have agreed to the commiter guidelines.
- How many active developers are there? Are they from multiple organizations?
- There are approximately 29 current committers that have contributed within the last year. They are from a wide variety of organizations and some are individuals.
- Have project documents been updated to reflect membership in the foundation, and the relationship of the project to the foundation?
- Yes, details on membership and governance have been prepared on the GDAL Governance Page.
- Has an effort been made to brand the project web site with OSGeo foundation web styling and branding marks?
- The GDAL pages describe GDAL participation in OSGeo. No other effort at branding has been defined or applied.
Code Copyright Review
- Has a Code Provenance Review document been prepared for the project?
- A document is under constructions at GDAL Provenance Review though a few areas remain to be investigated.
- Have issues raised in the provenance review been adequately addressed?
- Many have been resolved, but some remain. Most outstanding issues (marked TO_RESOLVE in the provenance review) now have GDAL bug tickets associated with them.