Geodata Discovery Working Group
NOTICE: There are two BOFs on this topic at FOSS4G2006 on Geodata and about Geodata Discovery and Metadata Models.
While OSGeo can consider hosting sets of public geodata, (and for the purposes of offering maintained packages of high-quality data for education and demonstration, it probably will), we can compile a set of best practises and references to good prior art for building and maintaining collections of data and metadata.
- Metadata for collections of geographic information.
- Providing best practise and prototypes for geodata search facilities
- Help with providing input into the OSGeo repository/services at http://osgeo.telascience.org/
- Providing 'catalog'/discovery/search services as part of OSGeo activities in promoting access to public domain and open licensed bodies of data.
- Jo Walsh
- Schuyler Erle
- David Bitner
- Perry Nacionales
- Markus Neteler
- Arnulf Christl
- Bob Wang
- Oscar Cantán
- Stefan Keller
- Carl Anderson
- Keivan Kabiri
- Keith Jenkins
- Greg Lawrance
- Brylie Christopher Oxley
- please add yourself
Existing (Meta) Search Projects and Related Efforts
More on metadata models at Geodata_Metadata_Requirements
- See Geodata_Metadata_Requirements#Discovery
- (Meta) Data Catalogues / Data Repositories
- GeoTorrent hosts BitTorrents of shapefile/TIFF format data.
- GeoNetwork "Find Interactive Maps, GIS datasets, Satellite Imagery and Related Applications"
- DLESE Collection System offers a metadata repository and editor and supports OAI-PMH as data provider and harvester
- Geo Meta Data Base (GMDB) - Metadata repository and editor based on ISO 19115/119 Metadata and Dublin Core with XML export and OAI-PMH data provider support (german only)
- GDI Portals (country specific): US, UK, D, A, CH, LI, FR, CO...
- (Meta) Search engines:
Lists about data sources and services:
- Lists on web services:
- http://www.skylab-mobilesystems.com/ger/wms_serverlist.html simple WMS service URL list
- http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/ogcsurvey/ Automated OGC Survey on the Web (WMF, WFS, ...)
- http://geometa.info/search.jsp?query=type%3Awms WMS search engine
- Orthophotography Annotated list of Orthophotography WMS Services
- Lists on data services:
Public Datasets for Possible Mirroring or Distribution
Regional data sets
These data sets comprise raster and vector data (with permittive license):
- SO!GIS® data of Kanton Solothurn (Switzerland)
- Edu Data Package North Carolina (USA)
- FindGIS - Florida City, County & Goverment Agency GIS Data Download & FTP Sites
... basically placenames with coordinates ...
- Geonames.org gazetteer (includes NGA GNS Gazetteer)
- WorldWind Placenames (markusN can provide PERL to read this)
- Geowanking-List: Toponymic accurracy of Google and Yahoo Maps => a very good example why releasing this data is useful for public authorities and the society
- VMAP0 - 1:1Mio, very generalised vector data for many features, around 70 layers (already at telascience) - see also here for docs
- World map for APRS, 1:1.1mio
- GSHHS - world coastlines, different scales available
- TIGER/Line (USA) - street and addressing data for the US
- RNF (Canada) - street and addressing data for Canada
- OpenStreetMap - data available through a HTTP based XML interface. They've also been getting requests for shapefile and GML output of their data.
- African geodata
- Satellite Data
- Maps derived from Satellite Data
- Nested Imagery Layer (Best of -- resolution -- with seamless zoom through multiple levels)
- AVHRR Landuse Map from GLCF
- natural earth
- City lights
- HydroSHEDS - Hydrological data and maps based on SHuttle Elevation Derivatives at multiple Scales
- UNOSAT imagery http://unosat.web.cern.ch/unosat/asp/prod_free.asp
Wishlist for Public Datasets
- OGC's CSW 2.0 (work in progress...)
- OpenGIS Catalogue Services - ebRIM (ISO/TS 15000-3) profile of CSW
- (ISO/OGC's "ISO19115/ISO19119 Application Profile for CSW 2.0")
- See a comparison between CSW and OAI-PMH
- OGC's WFS (profile) serving (profiled) ISO 19115/19119 metadata format...?
- 'Lean and mean' proposals on project level...
- OGC's CSW 2.0 (work in progress...)
- Related search/harvest protocols - possibly to be profiled or specialized by geoinformation requirements:
(placeholder for an initial hosting plan sketch)