ICA OSGeo Lab Network 2013-09-05
This meeting is scheduled for the 5th of September 2013 at 18.00 UTC
Please remember to login 15 minutes early to download plugins and check audio/microphones working
1. Go to URL http://delmarcollege.adobeconnect.com/nisgtc/ 2. Log in as a Guest using first and last names 3. From the Meeting menu, select audio setup wizard and go through the Wizard to set up your speaker and microphones to participate with group.
- Introductions with 2min overviews from each participant (All)
- OpenGIS Webinar series in collaboration with MundoGEO - Eduardo Freitas (MundoGEO)
- Training materials OGC Schools at GitHub initiative - Luis Bermudez (OGC)
- Website update (Manuel Haro and website committee)
- Updates on relevant training opportunities, bid opportunities (All)
- FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham Update (Suchith)
- COST update - (Maria)
- Date and time for next meeting (All)
* Arlete Meneguette, Sao Paulo State University (UNESP), Brazil * Charlie Schweik, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA * Luis Bermudez, OGC * Silviana Comboim, Federal Univerity of Parana, Brazil * Phillip Davies, from GeoTech Centre , USA * Jeff McKenna, OSGeo President * Andreea Marin, University of Bucharest, Romania * Massimiliano Cannata, SUPSI, Switzerland * Xingong Li, Department of Geography,University of Kansas, USA * Jeremy Morley, University of Nottingham, UK * Suchith Anand, University of Nottingham, UK
Apologies received from many members because of planned vacation and conferences. Thanks for informing.
- OGC Schools at GitHub
Luis Bermudez (OGC) did short presentation on his idea of creating training materials using GitHub to setup a process of regular updates to the training materials. This is an excellent work and there was wide support from all participants for exploring this further and we look forward to work with Luis on this. Suchith requested Luis to give a webinar on this for our Webinar program.
- OpenGIS Webinar series in collaboration with MundoGEO
Eduardo Freitas couldnt attend today's meeting , so Suchith updated all. Webinar program is an excellent opportunity to further the impact of our education efforts and we will goahead with this idea. Suchith to contact all members and prepare a webinar course structure. The aim is to have one webinar a month. The first webinar is planned on "OSGeo Live DVD for Education" . Jeremy updated all on how he is using OSGeo Live for one of his MSc Modules. The plan is to have a webinar on OSGeo Live with this usecase to start the webinar program.
We will then follow up the webinar with topics and casestudies on different themes. Please let Suchith know if you wish to do a webinar on any key area of your interest. Webinars are an excellent opportunity to promote your work to a global audience and build more research collaborations.
- COST update
- Maria couldnt attend the meeting but did update on the bid. Good progress and team in place with 9 participating countries. University of Newcastle (UK), UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre (Poland), ITC (Netherlands), Czech Technical University Prague (Czech Republic), Politecnico di Milan ( Italy), Jacobs University (Germany), Aalto University (Finland), University of Girona (Spain) SUPSI (Switzerland) and Edmund Mach (Italy). The bid team had telemeeting earlier today and Massimiliano Cannata was there. Good work Maria.
Other Bid updates
- The result of UK-Brazil workshop bid to British Council is expected in two weeks time. If successful we will be able to organize a workshop bringing together researchers from UK and Brazil in Sao Paulo in Feb 2014. It is aimed as a 3 day event. 2 days workshop + 1 day sandpit focussed on building teams and proposals for Horizon 2020.
- Website update
- Unfortunately Manuel or Rafael couldn't attend so we do not have any updates. Suchith has put this as urgent item on our agenda for our F2F meeting on 20th Sep at FOSS4G 2013. Thanks to Helena for building an excellent table for our network. It is pretty amazing so see the expanding list. Our initial thought was to setup 5 labs in 5 years, we now 6 labs in USA alone with 37 labs in total spread over the world. We will be having over 100 labs this time next year. Thank you to all of you and great to see this.
- FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham update (Suchith)
- Everything on track for FOSS4G 2013 and we are hoping it will be an excellent event to build more research collaborations. Excellent list of presentations, workshops etc now in place at http://2013.foss4g.org/
- We have strong educational presence and activities planned for FOSS4G 2013 . Suchith will give a presentation on our network. Jeremy will be presenting on OSGeoLive for Education, there is BOF planned for ELOGeo and many other presentations.
- ICC 2013 Dresden update (Suchith)
- We had an excellent meeting of ICA-OSGeo labs network using the ICA Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies meeting slot at ICC 2013. Thanks to all who participated esp. Serena, Silvana and Chris for giving short presentation of thier labs . We have got lot of interest from new universities to join our network. I have put the summary at http://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2013/09/updates-from-icc-2013-dresden-meeting/
- Thanks to Phillip of GeoTech Centre for again hosting us.
- Next meeting
- Friday 20th September at 09:00 -10:00 (UK time) in the GeoCamp Marquee
- I will check with Phil if we can make it telemeeting also for those who are not coming for FOSS4G