Memorandum of Understanding
This Memorandum of Understanding was approved on 18th Sept. 2011 by the OSGeo Board of Directors at the Denver Board Meeting. This MoU was renewed by Georg Gartner, former President ICA, and Jeff McKenna, President OSGeo, on 16 July 2015 at FOSS4G Europe, in Como Italy.
- Memorandum of Understanding between
- The Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- International Cartographic Association (ICA)
September 2011. Renewed July 2015
The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is to establish a collaborative relationship between the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) and the International Cartographic Association (ICA). Both parties to this MOU share the goal of developing global collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organizations in open source geospatial software and data especially through the GeoForAll initiative.
The MOU will cover the following proposals and topics:
- To further develop the GeoForAll initiative, through expanding partnerships.
- To provide expertise and support for the establishment of Open Source Geospatial Laboratories and Research Centers across the world for supporting development of open-source geospatial software technologies, training and expertise.
- To provide support for building-up and supporting development of open source geopatial education and training materials.
- Development of collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organizations in open source geospatial software and data for the purpose of creating a sustainable ecosystem for open source geospatial software and data globally.
- Joint organization of open source geospatial events, workshops through the ICA and OSGeo network for wider participation globally.
- ICA Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies to further collaborate with OSGeo on academic publications.
This MOU will be reviewed annually by both parties at which time revisions may be made and the agreement renewed.
- Prof Menno-Jan Kraak, President, ICA
- Jeff McKenna, President, OSGeo
Geo for All
One of the more visible results of this Memorandum of Understanding the Geo for All initiative.