This Memorandum of Understanding was approved on 18th Sept. 2011 by the OSGeo Board of Directors at the Denver Board Meeting.
- Memorandum of Understanding between
- The Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- The GIS and Remote Sensing Centre, The University of Girona, Spain. (SIGTE)
The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is to establish a collaborative relationship between the Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) and the GIS and Remote Sensing Centre (SIGTE) of The University of Girona. Both parties to this MOU share the goal of developing collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organisations in open source GIS software and data in Spain.
SIGTE has been advancing the use of free and open source software for geomatics for several years, through various educational activities and technical projects at a range of scales: local, regional, national and international.
The MOU covers the following proposals and topics:
- Mutual promotion of new and existing academic and educational activities for Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial.
- Formation of the SIGTE Open Source Geospatial Laboratory (OSGL), at the University of Girona, to support educational activities and provide further opportunities to investigate related issues.
- The SIGTE OSGL will review local and national geospatial needs in Spain, and where possible, support the Spanish speaking open source geospatial community worldwide.
- The SIGTE OSGL activities may include, but are not limited to, promoting OSGeo activities/projects, providing Open Source GIS educational opportunities, such as summer schools, international workshops, training/online programs, seminars, conferences, and developing open educational materials, etc.
- Investigate the development of an endorsement/certification program for labeling OSGeo products in use by SIGTE free and open source geospatial projects.
- Develop collaboration opportunities for academia, industry and government organizations for the purpose of creating a sustainable ecosystem for open source GIS in Spain.
- Establish an OSGL Advisory Board coordinated by the OSGeo Board and SIGTE, comprised of members from OSGeo, academia, industry, etc. to give strategic input and direction for the OSGL and its activities.
This MOU will be reviewed annually by both parties at which time revisions may be made and the agreement renewed.