OSGeo-BE-meeting-20150605

From OSGeo Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Skype Meeting 05-06-2015

Present

Dirk Gaël Tommy Marc Johan Moritz

Agenda

  • OSGeo-BE
* Official recognition by OSGeo
* Legal status
  • FOSS4G-BE
* Infrastructure, Venue
* Programme
* Call for Contributions
* Call for Sponsors
* Web site
* Budget
* Miscellaneous
 * Collaboration with ICA
 * Call for volunteers

OSGeo-BE

No action towards the creation of a legal structure should be taken before official approval of the chapter by the OSGeo board.

Procedure for official creation of chapter

The necessary steps are (link):

  • Self-organisation: done
  • Definition of mission and objectives: we need to go a bit further than the bullet points listed in the minutes of the first meeting
  • Designation of a representative who will liaise with OSGeo: Dirk
  • Official declaration of interest to the board

Action: Dirk takes the lead in this point and will elaborate the mission and objectives to be circulated on the mailing list for comments. He will submit the declaration of interest to the board before the next board meeting on June 18, 2015.

Legal status

It is decided that, in the case the OSGeo Board approves its creation, OSGeo-BE will take an independent legal structure in the form of a vzw/asbl as this allows more flexibility and leaves more doors open for future developments. Nevertheless, collaboration with the Open Knowledge Foundation should be pursued.

Action: Moritz will prepare the necessary documents for the creation of the legal structure.

FOSS4G-BE

Infrastructure, Venue

Gaël confirms the availability of the following infrastructure at the bel.brussels facilities:

  • auditorium for 400 people
  • one workshop room for about 50 people
  • one workshop room for about 40 people, subdividable into two rooms of 20
  • the atrium for exhibition space and coffee breaks
  • the restaurant can also be used as meeting space, outside the lunch hours (~ 12:00 - 14:00)

For catering, we are obliged to go through the official caterer Biorganic Factory who offers both coffee breaks and lunch. A pack with 2 coffee breaks and lunch is around 30€.

The venue is equipped with modern audio-visual equipment and internet access should be no problem. In September an inventory of necessary and available technical infrastructure needs to be realised.

Programme

In light of the available infrastructure, the following general structure of the programme is foreseen:

Time Atrium Auditorium Workshop room 1 Workshop room 2
08:00-09:00 Setup of exhibition space
09:00-09:30 Registration
09:30-10:00 Registration Welcome and presentation of OSGeo/OSGeo-BE
10:00-10:30 Registration Keynote
10:30-11:00 Coffee break & Registration
11:00-12:30 Registration Main track Side track 1 Side track 2
12:30-14:00 Lunch
14:00-16:00 Main track Side track 1 Side track 2
16:00-16:30 Coffee break
16:30-17:00 Conclusions and Outlook for OSGeo-BE

The following contents have been suggested for the tracks:

  • The main track should mainly contain show cases of uses of FOSS4G within business, administration, education and research.
  • Side track 1 should be a specific track for IT-Officers (and CTOs ?) and should deal with the more concrete issues linked to the introduction and use of FOSS4G into a specific institutional setting.
  • Side track 2 will be a dev room

Action: all will think about possible keynote speakers and make suggestions to the list.

Call for contributions

The call for contributions should contain the above description of tracks, but should leave the door open for a different organisation of the programme depending on the responses received to the call for contributions.

Action: Johan will elaborate the final draft version of the call for contributions and circulate it on the mailing list for comments.

Call for sponsors

The proposed levels of sponsorship are too high for the event. The new table is:

1000 (= 2000 now + mention on stage and priority placement of exhibition space) 750 (= 2000 now) 500 as now 250 as now

Action: Moritz will elaborate the final draft version of the call for sponsors and circulate it on the mailing list for comments.

Web site

Gaël presents a first mock-up for a web site of the event, made in collaboration with a professional web designer. This mockup is accepted under the condition that all can access and modify the source.

Action: Gaël will send an official budgeted proposal to the mailing list for comment and approval.

Budget

The targeted audience is about 200 people. If we offer free lunch this would mean 30€/person for catering + other costs (programme, badges, etc). We aim for a total budget of about 10.000€. As this target might be difficult to reach, it is decided to announce the event without free lunch. If we collect enough money from sponsors, we can still decide to offer lunch for free.

Collaboration with ICA

A colleague of Moritz, active in the International Cartography Association (ICA) has suggested to associate the ICA to the event, since the year 2015-2016 is an international year of cartography. The ICA is already associated with OSGeo in the "Geo for all" programme and in the FOSS4G-EU in Como.

Action: Moritz will make contact and report back to the list about possible collaboration.

Call for volunteers

The event will be a lot of work and we will thus be in need of volunteers that can help. A call for volunteers should thus be launched. It is decided that it is too early at this stage and that this should happen beginning of September.

Next meeting

The next meeting is scheduled for July 3, 14:00, via Skype.