PDX OSGEO 20130417 Meeting

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

Time and Location

  • April 17th, 6-8pm
  • Renewable Funding
  • 400 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 902
  • Portland, OR 97204 USA
  • map
  • If you arrive after 6pm, please buzz the security guard, who will open the doors and let you up to the 9th floor.
  • The office is through the double doors immediately to the left after exiting the elevators.

Agenda

  1. This month is a chance for anyone who wants a trial run at their talk for GIS in Action
  2. Unconference details
  3. Edit-a-thon this weekend, let's pick a target area for improvements: http://calagator.org/events/1250463885
  4. Finish annual report, specifically Outlook for 2013 Section

Meeting notes

In attendance: Rob Denner, Wm Leler, Jen Menhard, Jeff Meyers, Mele Sax-Barnett, Grant Humphries, Michael, Neil, Katie Urey, Dan Karns, Tanya Haddad.

Dave Miller gave a quick talk on mapping AIS (Automatic Identification System) ship tracking data. See the results at: http://demo.dedicatedmaps.com

Available AIS IPs are

  • 216.177.253.143:3131 - Bar Pilots
  • 208.79.150.114:1001 - Puget Sound Exchange

GIS in Action

Darrell will bring the OSGeo banner to the exhibition hall setup at 6:00 on Monday the 29th.

There may be some OSGeo marketing materials availble to print and distribute, possibly in the "goodie bag" at registration.

There were suggestions of getting a smaller number of OSGeo Live DVDs burned to USB Keys, and giving them to individuals who express a particular interest in the Live DVD, this is a more versatile platform than DVDs, and may have less waste. We do have a few hundred dollars from the OR-URISA budget to use.

Someone needs to ask the marketing committee for an exhibitor's kit. We all agreed to pester Eli to do this.

Basemap smackdown

We want to rank several (5?) available basemaps and argue the heck out of it. There's about 30 minutes to fill.

  • Beauty
  • Good for Overlay
  • Freedom
  • Creativity
  • Ease of Use (tiling scheme/technical)

If you have a basemap that you want to defend, contact Wm and let him know so he can include it in the list, and contact Percy so you can be summoned to defend your choice.

Unconference

The day after GIS in Action. Michael volunteered to organize name tags, pens, markers, paper, etc. See the lessons learned info at: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/PDX_OSGEO_Past_events

IF YOU DON'T PRE-REGISTER, THERE MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH COFFEE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Wm asked if we were planning to have any pre-scheduled talks, we might be able to integrate them, but no one has volunteered to have one, also Wm doesn't actually like the idea.

Edit-a-thon

Donations to cover the cost of the room ($100) are appreciated (Rob on behalf of GEO-CEG volunteered $50).

Darrell will bring extension cords and power strips, and a projector.

Darrell wants to work on the building footprint import (primarily a coding exercise).

Mele is going to give an intro to OSM and probably iD at 1pm.

Tanya suggested having groups who work on specific topics of their choosing, should they wish to, breaking up into a handful of groups.

Possible topic areas:

Learning JOSM (Tanya?) Learning iD (Mele?) Building Imports (Darrell) Collecting GPS data (Field papers?) Other topics people suggest

Updating the 2012 report

We did that.

Other

Tanya volunteered to create a google spreadsheet to schedule speakers.