Peter Loewe Videoquotes
- 1 OSGeo Spoken Word Demonstrator
OSGeo Spoken Word Demonstrator
This is a demonstration page showcasing the benefits of quoatable video excerpts ("video quotes") from OSGeo-related presentations. This page is still incomplete and under construction.
A lot of communication within OSGeo happens during the annual conferences on national, regional or global levels. Many of the conference presentations are recorded as professional video streams. Currently the majority of these videos is distributed via Youtube or similar Web 2.0 channels. Quoting videos on Youtube et al. can only be done using URLs which will eventually break when the content is moved or renamed. It is not possible to quote a specific snippet from within a particular video in Youtube. So there is a lot of OSGeo content on Youtube, but bing watching is a prohibitive approach for most of us. "There should be a better way" (William Shatner Quote).
The TIB AV-portal enables so called series-links to link to groups of videos from the same event (or source):
- FOSSGIS Konferenz 2011 : Heidelberg, 05. - 07. April 2011 (2016-05: 24 vids)
- FOSSGIS Konferenz 2012 : Dessau, 20. - 22. März 2012 (2016-05: 47 vids)
- FOSSGIS Konferenz 2013 : Rapperswil, 12. - 14. Juni 2013 (2016-05: 30 vids)
- FOSS4G Nottingham 2013 (2016-05: 95 vids)
- FOSSGIS Konferenz 2014 : Berlin, 19. - 21. März 2014 (2016-05: 71 vids)
- LocationTech Summit 2014 (2016-05: 14 vids)
- BSDCan 2014 (2016-05: 24 vids)
- FOSSGIS Konferenz 2015: Münster, 11. - 13. März 2015 (2016-05: 69 vids)
- FOSS4G Seoul 2015 (2016-05: 2 vids)
- FOSSGIS Konferenz 2016: Salzburg 04. - 06. Juli 2016 (56 vids)
- FOSS4G Bonn 2016 (193 vids)
Video quotes based on persistent identifiers
The video quotes shown below are based on Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) instead of URLs. DOI are text strings just like a URL and can be handled by any webbrowser, as demonstrated here. While a DOI points to a specific video (as a scientific data set), Media Fragment Identifier tags (MFI) can be added to jump to a specific snippet of the overall video.
Take-outs from the GRASS GIS Promotional Video (1987) by USA-CERL
- William Shatner tells you where to stick your maps
- GRASS hardware costs in 1987
- GRASS installations in 1987
- Minicomputer hardware for GRASS GIS
- GRASS text interface - almost unchanged from 1987 till GRASS GIS 6
- 1980s equivalent of a thumbdrive?
- GRASS GIS Promotional Video: Animated Remote Sensing Satellites
Insights from FOSSGIS 2014 (Berlin)
- Open Source destroys business models ? (Arnulf Christl) german
- What is good Open Source ? (Arnulf Christl) german
- When does Open Source NOT make sense ? (Arnulf Christl) german
- Electronic Frontier Foundation Video
- Brandenburg 3D (german)
- Introduction to temporal modules in GRASS 7 by Markus Neteler (2014), in german
- "GRASS GIS: Vom Laptop zum Großrechner (Markus Neteler)"