Philippines/Chapter Meeting 2011-12-03
From OSGeo Wiki
- When: December 3, 2011 from 1:00 to 5:00 PM timeandate
- Where: ESSC, Manila Observatory Building, Ateneo de Manila University Campus, QC. map
- irc channel: irc://irc.freenode.net/osgeo #osgeo-ph
- Presentation of OSGeo - discussed by Venkatesh Raghavan highlighting the history of OSGeo and possible ways and activities OSGeo-PH can do for upcoming year.
- The OSGeo-Live project - presented by Maning Sambale.
- Short presentations about your organization and how you use OSGeo applications.
- Environmental Science for Social Change - Maning presented the current and previous geospatial research activities of the Institute
- World Agroforestry Centre - ICRAF and UPLB SESAM - Lawrence and Joan presented QGIS training activities they provide to UPLB Environmental Science students and Agriculture teachers in Northern Luzon
- Openstreetmap Philippines - Eugene presented an overview of Openstreetmap and activities in the Philippines
- UP Diliman & Feati - Jessie presented using OSGeo software as used in the Geodetic Engineering department of UP Diliman and FEATI.
- Brainstorming of ideas for the OSGeo-PH local chapter
- On formulating a 1 year plan for the local chapter - we need to involve more people in meetings before formulating an OSGeo-PH plan and future organizational directions. The agreement is to conduct more informal meetings with other GIS practitioners and groups.
- Possible groups we can promote OSGeo:
- Geodetic Engineering of the Philippines - this is the professional association of GEs in the country. They conduct national and regional assemblies. We can present OSGeo in the association meeting and propose a committiee on open source. Jessie will initiate contact.
- Regional Development Councils - this is a policy governing board under NEDA.
- We will prepare a standard slidedeck as presentation material we can use for presenting OSGeo in the above meetings.
- More training materials needed - there is a general agreement that we need more training/learning resources. ESSC is doing several training modules and commits to share materials to the group.
- Project tie-ups with OSM-PH - we can explore possible project collaborations with Openstreetmap similar to OSGeoJP and OSm Japan chapter.
- Need a better understanding on using open source in the business sector - maybe the next meeting can be a presentation on business use cases of OSGeo.
- Encourage the use the osgeo-ph mailinglist for answering specific GIS questions - Non-english language is OK.
- Maning Sambale - Environmental Science for Social Change
- Nicolas Bozon (via skype) - OSGeo France
- Venkatesh Raghavan (via skype) - OSGeo International and Japan
- Lawrence Ramos - World Agroforestry Centre - ICRAF
- Jessie Linn Ablao - University of the Philippines Diliman - GE Dept.
- Eugene Alvin Villar - Openstreetmap Philippines
- Joan Pauline P. Talubo - University of the Philippines Los Baños - School of Environmental Science and Management
- Rally de Leon - Openstreetmap Philippines
- More photos on flickr