Project Copyright Assignment
The GeoTools Copyright Assignment agreement is also now approved for use and may be considered superior to the following template for some purposes. This document is available in other formats from the same folder or from the GeoTools Developers Guide.
This Copyright Assignment is for use by contributors who wish to assign the copyright to their software code contributions to The Open Source Geospatial Foundation, a Delaware not-for- profit corporation (“OSGeo”). OSGeo typically obtains contributions of software code by way of a license grant from the contributor; OSGeo does not require that contributors to its projects assign their copyright to the foundation. However, many contributors have expressed a desire to do so. This document is designed to allow you to assign the copyright in your code contributions to OSGeo secure in the knowledge that your contributions will be maintained for public benefit. At the same time, OSGeo grants you the freedom to continue using your contributions in any manner you wish.
By signing this Copyright Assignment, you understand and agree as follows:
1. “Contributions” Defined. “Contributions” means all past, present, and future computer code you have contributed, are contributing or will contribute to any OSGeo project, including binary and source code and any accompanying documentation and files, and anything else described below:
(for example, “All code submitted in connection with the Foo project”): __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
2. License Terms. OSGeo will make the Contributions available under a license certified by the Open Source Initiative and may also make the Contributions available under other license terms.
3. Intellectual Property Rights. You agree that you alone created the Contributions, and that you own and have sufficient legal rights to contribute the Contributions to OSGeo in accordance with the terms of this Copyright Assignment, and that you will not provide any Contributions that violate any law or breach any contract. If a third party, such as your employer, may have rights to intellectual property you create (“IP Rights”), you agree that such third party has (1) no IP Rights in the Contributions; (2) granted sufficient written permission for this assignment; or (3) waived its IP Rights in the Contributions in writing. You agree the Contributions are submitted without any obligation to keep those Contributions confidential.
4. Assignment. You hereby assign to OSGeo all worldwide common law and statutory rights in or associated with the copyrights and all other right, title and interest you now or may in the future have in and relating to the Contributions and all applications for registration of the Contributions (all of which are part of the definition of “Contributions”) to the extent allowable under applicable local laws and copyright conventions. This assignment includes all rights of paternity, integrity, disclosure and withdrawal and any other rights that may be referred to as “moral rights,” “artist’s rights,” “droit moral,” or the like. You hereby provide any and all ratifications and consents necessary to accomplish the purposes of the foregoing to the extent possible. To the extent this assignment is not effective, you grant OSGeo a worldwide, non- exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicensable and fully paid-up right to use, modify, create derivative works of, perform, display, reproduce and distribute the Contributions.
5. Ongoing Assistance. You agree at the request and expense of OSGeo to execute any documents or perform any actions which OSGeo may request to perfect this assignment or otherwise implement this Copyright Assignment. You agree that this Copyright Assignment may be submitted by OSGeo to register a copyright in the Contributions.
6. OSGeo’s License to You. OSGeo hereby grants to you a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty- free, perpetual, and fully paid-up right to use, modify create derivative works of, perform, display, reproduce and distribute the Contributions in any manner you wish.
7. Limitations. Except as set forth herein, the Contributions are provided “AS-IS” and without any express or implied warranties of any kind, including any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and noninfringement.
8. Miscellaneous terms. This Copyright Assignment constitutes the entire agreement between you and OSGeo with respect to the subject matter herein, and supersedes any prior or contemporaneous agreements, written or oral. This Copyright Assignment may be modified only by a written agreement signed by both you and OSGeo. This Copyright Assignment shall be governed by and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to any conflicts of law principles.
ACCEPTED AND AGREED:
____________________________ (signature) ____________________________ (print name) ____________________________ (date)