Talk:WMS Tiling Client Recommendation
From OSGeo Wiki
Things that need to be constrained to ensure URLs are identical between clients and therefore cachable:
- Encoding of URL elements, like ":" and " ". Are they encoded? In the case of " " is it with "+" or "%22"? Basically the URL encoding needs to be "strict" and no "loosy goosy" (except remember that WMS is messed up and specifies that you do *not* encode the "," between layer names in the "layers" parameter, even though the URL encoding rules say you should. But for "," characters *within* the layer names, those you should encode. (Like it would have killed them just to say "no commas in the layer names" and follow the URL encoding rules correctly... but I digress.)
- Precise minimum of WMS parameters, and their precise ordering. All mandatory WMS parameters need to be included, fer sher.
- The case of WMS parameters. Is it "VERSION" or "version"? "GetMap" or "getmap"?
- What does it mean that a BoundingBox element is optional? What is the implied value if it unspecified?
- The Layers and Styles elements are presumably lists. Are they space separated, comma separated?