Board Meeting 2017-11-02

From OSGeo
Jump to: navigation, search

This board meeting is scheduled for 2 November 2017 (the first Thursday of each month) at [1] through IRC and follow up voting on Loomio.

Agenda

Current items

  • roll call
  • appoint meeting chair, meeting scribe/secretary
  • Review action items from previous meeting
  • Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary)
  • OSGeo-Live incubation application approved by incubation committee
  • Website/reboot status update; feedback summary, providing access to community for management (call on community to organize sprints to fill in information, solve map issues)
  • budget planning
  • review/revise sponsors program for 2018
  • Projects review
  • Discuss alternative to Dropbox

Minutes

Welcome

  • Attending: Angelos, Jody, Jeff, Vasile, Helena, Maria A, Michael, Maria B.
  • Presiding: Angelos
  • Scribing: Jody

Initial discussion:

  • Review of agenda, general agreement to cap meeting at hour, consider holding second meeting in November due to crunch time
  • Discussion of appoint a chair (in the absence of committee chair). Apparently prior custom that "oldest member present chairs". Was unable to quickly confirm practice from logs. Angelos volunteered to chair the meeting in keeping with current custom of asking who would like to chair the meeting (even when we have a chair-of-the-board).
  • some discussion of who is the oldest member (by age, or ...)

Review action items from previous meeting

Action: Jeff McKenna to send the Project Review document to the Board.

  • No update
  • action: Jeff / Maxi volunteer to work on converting project report from google document to wiki

Action: Vasile and Angelos to follow up on Europe bank account and request for travel support as necessary

  • discussion on need for European account:
  • helps facilitate activities in europe and avoid exchange costs (example foss4g 2016 funds, upcoming bonn code sprint, advancing funds for 2019 event, SOC payments, etc...)
  • need is slightly reduced as treasurer reports a new system to avoid punishing wire transfer costs
  • need two active board members, and a mandate from organization to open a bank account
  • discussion of board member availability and travel in Europe; try to determine if this can be done prior to Bonn code sprint

Action: Jody to see who could not make the AGM, and we can sort out contacting those projects on the board email list

  • Jody sent email with the AGM slides celebrating projects, committees and chapters that participated
  • Angelos [filled in the gaps](http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Re-Board-AGM-Followup-what-our-foundation-is-doing-in-2017-tt5339572.html) identifying the following projects who have not reported:
    • gvSIG
    • Marble
    • QGIS
    • FDO
    • GDAL/OGR
    • GEOS
    • GeoTools
    • OSSIM
    • PostGIS
    • GeoNetwork
    • deegree
    • geomajas
    • Mapbender
    • MapFish
    • MapGuide Open Source
    • OpenLayers
  • general feedback was that this was not noticed admit election results
  • discussion about asking project officers to join subsequent board meetings
  • action: Angelos to ask 4-5 projects to attend the next meeting (from those who did not attend AGM), request slide to complete AGM presentation
  • Post AGM discussion: thanks Helena for chairing, not all projects reported, all active committees reported
  • Discussion about asking local chapters to report in AGM (welcome but not required as they do not have an officer representation).
  • Lots of enthusiasm for making better use of local chapters, etc ...

Action: Angelos to join the SAC meeting to report back progress on website.

  • Jody, Angelos, Jeff attended
  • great to see SAC having regular meetings
  • context: Action was to follow up to Alex (SAC Chair) attending Boston F2F meeting to facilitate hosting of new website
  • general discussion on committee governance challenges, reminder of current activity asking each committees to report on how they function

Discussion about Officer positions (President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary)

  • current officers: Venka (President), Helena (vice-president), Jachym (secretary), Michael (Treasurer)
  • officers do not change until board acts to do so
  • officers are not required to be board members according to our bylaws
  • discussion on advantages of having two VPs, role of president, etc..
  • prefer president / vice-president to be board members, after board stalemate last year with Dirk as vice-president
  • discussion asking venka to continue to serve, advantages of regional representation, etc..
  • discussion of possible officer candidates (Helena, Maria B, ...)
  • strategy: ask existing officers to continue to service until f2f meeting
  • action: Vasile to schedule f2f meeting

OSGeo-Live incubation application approved by incubation committee

  • incubation chair reporting
    • incubation application for OSGeo-Live (as a software project) was accepted by the incubation committee
  • MOT1: Recognize OSGeo Live as entering the incubation process.

Website/reboot status update

Marketing committee reporting

  • contract component 2: website
    • feedback survey - survey completed with limited response, report being written for board now
    • Sub pages missed during migration (thinks like bi-laws that are not in the sitemap)
    • webmap integration completed, cartography from gretchen available bu not applied (requires community participation)
    • access to the community is in SACs hands
  • sidebar: discussion on access, Alex and SAC has a small contract for assistance migrating to OSGeo cloud hosting.
  • contract component 1: branding

budget planning

Activity:

  • Anita sent requests out to PSC and Committee teams to consider next years budget
  • Email lists show PSC and Committees considering budget but have not yet made requests
  • sidebar: Use of 2017 budget to book travel for 2018? A: PSC motion 1st, project officer work with trasurer 2nd
  • Budget schedule:
    • Draft budget in novemebr
    • Board to approve in decemeber (ahead of 2018 calendar date)
  • contacting project officers
    • Action: Maria A, Jody and Angelos to coordinate direct email campaign to project officers and set up wiki pages for 2018 budget
  • MOT 2: disband and reform finance committee

Closing

  • Note prior board minuets were approved by prior board via electronic voting.
  • Could not establish 2nd meeting date in November
    • Action: Maria A schedule second meeting, using doodle poll

Actions

  • Jeff / Maxi volunteer to work on converting project report from google document to wiki
  • Vasile to coordinate sharing of travel calendars and establish when two board members can meet
  • Angelos to ask 4-5 projects to attend the next meeting (from those who did not attend AGM), request slide to complete AGM presentation
  • Vasile to schedule f2f meeting
  • Maria A, Jody and Angelos to coordinate direct email campaign to project officers and set up wiki pages for 2018 budget
  • Maria A schedule second meeting, using doodle poll

Motions

MOT1: Recognize OSGeo Live as entering the incubation process.

MOT 2: Disband and reform finance committee

IRC Log