Our goal is to coordinate efforts in development of common, free and reusable graphical elements for many OSGeo projects. Icons for desktop/web applications and map symbols are of special interest.
MAILING LIST: You are welcome to join our discussion list at OSGeo graphics.
Browse: graphics repository
We are working within OSGeo Labs.
General information how to name image files. To be presented in tabular form for every icon with detailed description.
List of existing solutions
- OpenMapSymbols - nice integration of different sources
- GPS Drive
- ... (total 28 cats)
- physical (Highway, Barrier, Cycleway, Tracktype, Waterway, Railway, Aeroway, Aerialway, Power, Man Made, Leisure, Amenity, Shop, Tourism, Historic, Landuse, Military, Natural, Geological)
- non physical (Route, Boundary, Sport, Abutters, Accessories, Properties, Restrictions
- google map icons
- Administration, Office & Industry
- Culture & Entertainment
- Education & Kids
- ... (12 cats)
- ... (12 cats)
Feel free to modify this list/structure and put comments.
Two level structure covering whole range of graphics. Small size pictures (toolbar) and scalable symbols (other).
- nature (trees, etc.)
- toolbar-icons (svg format)
- 16x16 (rendered png)
- 24x24 (rendered png)
Resources and people
- GIS icon theme (Robert Szczepanek)
- GeoSilk (Rolando Peñate)
- OSGeo icon set (Steven M. Ottens)
- QGIS 2.0 icons (Anita Graser)
- google maps icons (Nicolas Mollet, Matthias Stasiak)
- OSGeo map symbol set
- SJJB SVG Map Icons
- Simboli cartografici
- AtlasStyler Collection - Freemapsymbols
- Cartography 2.0 (Mark Harrower) - free online knowledge base and e-textbook for students and professionals interested in interactive and animated maps
- resources (Cynthia A. Brewer)
- ESRI Mapping Center
- Making Maps DIY Cartography blog by John Krygier