2007 Google SoC Application
1. Describe your organization.
OSGeo is an incorporated not-for-profit organization serving as an umbrella organization for the Open Source Geospatial community in general, and 12 particular projects.
2. Why is your organization applying to participate in GSoC 2007? What do you hope to gain by participating?
We hope to get more students involved in open source geospatial development to grow the development community, and to advance particular projects.
3. Did your organization participate in GSoC 2005 or 2006? If so, please summarize your involvement and the successes and failures of your student projects.
OSGeo was only formed in early 2006 and hasn't participated in GSoC in previous years. However, Refractions Research did participate in 2006 on behalf of the GeoTools project, which is now an OSGeo project and will be participating through OSGeo. The previously participating mentors and administrator from 2006 are supporting the OSGeo 2007 effort.
4. If your organization has not previously participated in GSoC, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
5. Who will your organization administrator be? Please include Google Account information.
Frank Warmerdam, OSGeo President - account: fwarmerdam
6. What license does your project use?
Different OSGeo projects operate under a variety of OSI approved licenses.
- GRASS - GPL
- GeoTools - LGPL
- GDAL - MIT/X
- MapGuide - LGPL
- MapServer - MIT/X
7. What is the URL for your ideas page?
8. What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
email@example.com - see http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/discuss
add discussion lists for active projects
- GeoServer - firstname.lastname@example.org ( details )
- GeoTools - email@example.com ( details )
- uDig - firstname.lastname@example.org ( details )
9. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
- osgeo on irc.freenode.net
list irc channels for active projects
10. Does your organization have an application template you would like to see students use? If so, please provide it now.
11. Who will be your backup organization administrator? Please include Google Account information.
Landon Blake - add google account
12. Who will your mentors be? Please include Google Account Information.
to fill in
- email@example.com - available for uDig, GeoTools, GeoServer
13. What criteria did you use to select these individuals as mentors? Please be as specific as possible.
Mentors are selected by project steering committees based on their reputation as skilled developers, and their previously demonstrated ability to support new project developers.
14. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students?
to fill in
15. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors?
Project steering committees will appoint replacement mentors if existing mentors become unavailable or unresponsive during the project period.
16. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your project's community before, during and after the program?
to fill in
The steps taken depend on the individual projects, as example last year GeoTools project has asked for weekly attendence at IRC meetings or status email.
17. What will you do to ensure that your accepted students stick with the project after GSoC concludes?
to fill in
The steps taken depend on the individual projects, as example last year GeoTools project asked that students act as a "module maintainer" for their work. This roll has an expected level of support associated with it.