Brainstorming page - not official
The goals of the OSGeo (International) Academic Network would be primarily collaboration, to:
- Provide a unified academic body for OSGeo to turn to for more official perspectives and roles.
- Allow OSGeo focused students, interns, and institutions to find opportunities to work together.
- Help each other find research funding opportunities and grants by working together.
- Maintain a comprehensive list of contact persons in various regions for rollout of ideas. (more than just a mailing list!)
- Receive and direct the use of funding. There would be a fee to join the network, with some of that funding going back to fund activities - e.g. scholarships, research, writing, events.
- Give a more unified presence for OSGeo Academics at major events - e.g. AAG, ICA ...
- Identify the best opportunities for using marketing funds at academic events.
- Help host and run regular, regionally focus, workshops, events and education sprints.
- Coordinate with the OSGeo Journal to have special editions, move toward collective needs.
- Show the world that OSGeo is organised and pursuing academic initiatives.
All this would build on the idea of the Education Committee but act more like a formal Project within OSGeo rather than just a discussion place.
More background on the Talk:Academic Network page.
Institutions showing interest
- Tyler Mitchell, OSGeo, coordinating discussion
- Charlie Schweik, University of Massachusetts, USA
- Ari Jolma, Aalto University, Finland
- Suchith Anand, University of Nottingham, UK
- Lluís Vicens, SIGTE-University of Girona, Spain
- Maria Brovelli, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Rafael Moreno, University of Colorado Denver, USA
- Dave Percy, Portland State, USA
- Massimiliano Cannata,SUPSI, Switzerland
- Venkatesh Raghavan,OCU, Japan,
- ICA and ISPRS - several above members on their working groups too