This page has been superceded by the formal web site page: https://www.osgeo.org/content/sponsorship/index.html. This wiki page remains for more internal discussion purposes and is a working proposal.
Organizational sponsorships will be offered to organizations at the following levels (per annum):
- Associate Sponsor: $3,000 USD
- Supporting Sponsor: $10,000 USD
- Principal Sponsor: $20,000 USD
- Sustaining Sponsor: $50,000 USD
Names need to be reviewed in light of the nature of the sponsorships. Pending on target audiences etc.. TBD
Why Sponsor OSGeo
- Organization Dependence on OSGeo Software - Many companies and perhaps some other organizations could not operate, or would be substantially different if open source geospatial technologies did not exist. For these organizations, sustaining their own current operations into the future depends on the success of OSGeo, and a relationship with the organization.
- Organization or Community Adoption of OSGeo Software - Many organizations and communities have large internal or member adoptions of OSGeo software. These organizations have an interest in ensuring the software can be sustained into the future, and wish to be seen to be supporting their member's software selection.
- Open Source adoption of Open Standards and other priorities - Some of OSGeo's primary goals and objectives are consistent with other organization's missions and goals. Sponsorship can become a means of furthering these goals by supporting a like-minded organization.
- Market Benefits of Supporting OSGeo - Organizations are regularly asked where they stand in regards to open source technologies. Generally speaking - companies in particular, and other organizations wish to be seen as supportive of open source in the marketplace. Sponsorship of OSGeo provides a means of giving this support some degree of credibility.
- Market Benefits of Relationship with OSGeo - Organizations wish to be seen to be friendly to open source, both to the open source community, and to their customers. Sponsorship provides a means of bolstering an organization's stature in respect to OSGeo.
- Visibility - All marketing and communications organizations are interested in maximizing positive visibility in the marketplace. Sponsorship could provide a mechanism for some associated visibility with OSGeo such as logos on booths and other marketing collateral.
- Networking Opportunity - All organizations value opportunities to meet with likeminded individuals. Meeting around a common supported cause with other sponsors around OSGeo is a great way to build stroner links among these organizations.
It is critical that OSGeo preserve it's ability to operate in an arm's length manner from any organization, and therefore from any sponsor. For this reason, it is critical that the benefits offered to propsective sponsors do not compromise in any way the impartialness and freedom from influence that is essential for OSGeo's success.
Although this does limit the benefits that can be offered, substantial benefits remain in this context that we can work with. Potential sets of benefits are outlined below for each sponsorship level. Note that benefits are cumulative - so Supporting Sponsor includes all benefits of Associate Sponsor.
- Right to use OSGeo logo and promote sponsorship level
- Identification on Sponsors web page on OSGeo, and link to Web Site
- Joint Press Release with OSGeo to announce Sponsorship
- Invitation to OSGeo Sponsor Networking Event with BoD and other invited Guests
- Promotional Space on Sponsor Page (content subject to OSGeo approval)
- Enlarged Promotional Space on Sponsor Page (content subject to OSGeo approval)
- Sponsorship Selection after Sustaining Sponsors for the Annual OSGeo International Conference
- Top Visibility on Sponsor page on the OSGeo web site
- Organization logos on key OSGeo marketing materials
- Organization logos at Booths at OSGeo events
- First Sponsorship Selection for the Annual OSGeo International Conference
Target Audience for Sponsorship
- To be Completed
Who Solicits Foundation Sponsors?
In theory anyone can approach potential sponsors. Any supporter of OSGeo is welcome to raise the possibility in conversations with possible sponsors. However, a formal approach to organizations on behalf of Open Source Geospatial Foundation should be coordinated though the Fundraising Committee. This ensures that potential sponsors get presented with the right information, and right pitch - maximizing our chance of success.
For this reason, individuals are encouraged to refer sponsorship possibilities to the fundraising committee. The fundraising committee may then assign a member to approach the potential sponsor, or provide additional direction to the person originating the suggestion. An existing relationship with the potential sponsor can be a big asset.
Employees are encouraged to raise the idea, and refer their employer if they seem like a good candidate. Those inside an organization can provide invaluable insight into what factors may influence an organization and who best to approach. In some cases it may not be desirable for an employee to be giving the pitch. In other cases it may be desirable.
So, the general pattern is that everyone is encouraged to keep an eye out for potentially sponsors, and possibly feel them out on the idea informally. But then refer the candidate to the fundraising committee for a unified and professional approach, possibly through the originator.
How To Sell Sponsorship?
- To be completed
- A folder to give to big potential donors - here's what you get with various levels of sponsor
- A list of Events where OSGeo has a booths
- A list of where projects have made a difference
- A list of other sponsors
- A pitch for how the sponsor benefits from OSGeo sponsorship