GDAL SoC Ideas
Jump to navigation Jump to search
GDAL/OGR Related ideas for the Google Summer of Code 2007:
- Write an OGC WMS (Web Map Service) driver, likely somewhat modelled on the WCS driver implementation.
- Extend the existing KML vector feature writer to also support reading KML, and otherwise generalize this driver.
- Implement a raster reader/writer for KML.
- Generally implement new file format drivers for geospatial raster or vector formats not already supported by GDAL/OGR. GDAL Raster Driver Tutorial, OGR Driver Tutorial, Existing Raster Formats, Existing Vector Formats
- Implement GeoPNG/GeoJPEG by embeding coordinate system and geotransformation information (possibly in GML) as chunks in PNG and JPEG files (see GML JP2 for a model of how this might be done).
- Extend the OGR SQL parser to support some OGC SQL spatial function operators.
- new feature Clip to Extents of other raster, paying attention to nodata (take Raster A, and clip out/erase all areas for which Raster B does not extend to or has nodata values)
- new feature to Clip by Polygon, as above but use a vector polygon for the selection area(s)
- OGR WFS read driver
- Update drivers to use modern CPL utilities