Live GIS Disc FAQ
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 21:41, 3 March 2014 by Wiki-HamishBowman (talk | contribs) (→Administration: sshd bug work-around)
For the public good and for your own future reference please record any FAQs here, even if you can only supply the Q
- Q: How can I find the answer to a question which isn't here?
- A: Use the search tool in the mailing list archives, or put it here and wait for someone else to fill in the A:.
- Q: What's the live user's name and password?
- A: user/user. See the passwords.txt file on the desktop for application specific database user/passwords.
- Q: What's the root password?
- A: There isn't one. To run commands as root type `sudo <command>` in a terminal. To become root type `sudo - su`. Enter the user's password when prompted.
- Q: How do I get my dual monitors to span instead of mirror with xUbuntu?
- A: Go to the Applications → Settings menu and use the `arandr` program to drag them apart, then click the tick/check button to apply (once you start the program it's pretty obvious, the program name on the other hand is not so obvious :) For the OSGeo 5.5 Live DVD and earlier you'll have to install it yourself via Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center.
- Q: How do I ssh into the Live Disc?
- A: You must first install the openssh-server package:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
Because of a bug in Ubuntu 12.04 you may also need to run:
sudo initctl reload-configuration sudo service ssh restart
- Important: If enabling remote login access you really should change the user account's default password with the passwd command.
Building the disc
- Q: How do I roll my own version of the disc?
- A: See the Live GIS Build wiki page
- Q: This app is great! How do I install it on my Ubuntu system without installing everything else?
- A: All the install scripts can be found in the ~/gisvm/bin/ directory on the disc.